Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default 9mm ar15 upper - build it or buy it?

I finally ordered a Glock compatible Spike's tactical lower.

I have no upper. I'd love to finish this project up on the cheap.

I'm looking for something carbine barrel length for indoor range use (25 yards) and maybe out to 50 yards.

Reliability and durability are really my main concern. I can always change the barrel or bcg later if needed.

Is there no such thing in a cheap complete upper? Should i just spend more up front and build it myself (i already have the tools)?

The cheapest uppers I've seen are psa and bca. I actually have no experience with either. I know what to expect with psa. Both of those options are sold out as far as i could find. Are there any good deals i'm missing? Brands i should look for (preferably that won't blow up after a few hundred rounds)?

In short i want something that isn't junk. What's my best course of action? I'm not a sharpshooter. I'm going to stick a 2moa dot on it when it is done. As long as it is capable of staying in the x ring at 25 yards and won't break, I'll be pretty happy.

-Zach

(Centre County)

Default Re: 9mm ar15 upper - build it or buy it?

Since you already checked PSA and BCA, check here: https://www.joeboboutfitters.com you should be able to find all the parts to build it yourself.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Washington County)

I used a cheap stripped upper and upper parts kit, probably from combat armory, then a ballistic advantage bolt and barrel, some Chinese MLOK rail, and a BCM charging handle. Did I save money? Heck if I know, probably. I buy parts on sale or use coupons when I see the chance. Works 100%, slays the cardboard at USPSA matches in PCC division. Building an upper is easier than putting a lower parts kit in a lower IMO.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Since you already checked PSA and BCA, check here: https://www.joeboboutfitters.com you should be able to find all the parts to build it yourself.
    That's where i got the lower from. Thanks!

(Bucks County)

I ended up ordering the parts to just build it. Was it the cheapest option? No. It never is. But I'm pretty happy with what i got and i know i won't have to worry about it blowing up in my face or spend the same money anyway upgrading things piecemeal.

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

Late to this, but I will note that building from parts CAN be less expensive, but if you are picking and choosing the individual parts, there's no reason to confine yourself to "budget" parts throughout, so you tend to buy the parts you WANT - which may cost more.

I'm the king of cheap - I have to be - but that doesn't mean that I have to accept garbage parts in my builds. I save up a little longer and buy "middle of the road" quality - not budget stuff, and not "operator" stuff - just stuff that's a decent quality.

I typically put together guns that would have cost several hundred more if I hadn't taken the time to only buy things that were great deals.
    Most of them I could have built for less, by settling for questionable parts, but like I said, if I'm picking and choosing every single part, why not use the ones I want to use?

There have been times when buying all the parts was absolutely the cheaper route, but in the last few years, the market has become so flooded that you can get some decent "complete" uppers/lowers/complete guns for the same or less than building your own.
    It's a timing thing as well as a parts choice thing.

You'll always be happier building with the parts you want vs the parts someone else decided to use.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Beaver County)

I would build. The only time I'd suggest you buy is if you're inexperience/don't have the tools (which you said you do) or you want a feature like forward charging that only a certain brand of upper offers (like foxtrot mike).

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Late to this, but I will note that building from parts CAN be less expensive, but if you are picking and choosing the individual parts, there's no reason to confine yourself to "budget" parts throughout, so you tend to buy the parts you WANT - which may cost more.

I'm the king of cheap - I have to be - but that doesn't mean that I have to accept garbage parts in my builds. I save up a little longer and buy "middle of the road" quality - not budget stuff, and not "operator" stuff - just stuff that's a decent quality.

I typically put together guns that would have cost several hundred more if I hadn't taken the time to only buy things that were great deals.
    Most of them I could have built for less, by settling for questionable parts, but like I said, if I'm picking and choosing every single part, why not use the ones I want to use?

There have been times when buying all the parts was absolutely the cheaper route, but in the last few years, the market has become so flooded that you can get some decent "complete" uppers/lowers/complete guns for the same or less than building your own.
    It's a timing thing as well as a parts choice thing.

You'll always be happier building with the parts you want vs the parts someone else decided to use.
    I agree and you are right, I could have spent less but i ended up getting what i wanted instead of just whatever was cheapest.

I'm most excited about the faxon 16" barrel with integrated brake and the odin works rune handguard. I figure i can always use the guard on something else too later down the road. Both of those parts probably cost a bit more than i would have spent if i was going for bargain stuff. But i got exactly what i wanted.

I figure at the end of this, I'll come out with a pretty nice rifle that won't cost much less than if i had bought something similar. But i like the projects. Doing the research and learning what it needs.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    I would build. The only time I'd suggest you buy is if you're inexperience/don't have the tools (which you said you do) or you want a feature like forward charging that only a certain brand of upper offers (like foxtrot mike).
    I've never used one, but that foxtrot Mike forward side charging deal looks so goofy to me. I went for a standard battery of arms. I'm not exactly training, but i don't want to have to think about how to charge it. Same reason i didn't go with a stern mag adapter. I didn't want to have to rethink how to operate an ar.

-Zach

(Delaware County)

I’ve been building ARs from the beginning of the “build culture” phenomenon. I’ve actually NEVER purchased a complete AR....and I’ve built more than the average bear. Now I build ONLY 80% ARs. Over these 15 years I have researched to an obscene amount, and learned just about every secret there is in the industry. Anymore, I build only extremely high quality AR’s for a fraction of the cost for OVERPRICED AR’s from “manufact-a-builders” like KAC, LMT, Larue Tac(aka Pepé Le Pew), etc.

To me, building is about having the ability to use high end parts without the top shelf price. A NAME does not mean high quality. Quality is based on materials used & machining performed. I also love the very ACT of building itself. I am a Gunsmith/builder(not as a business for profit) and this is a passion for me. I enjoy building as much as shooting!

Of course a very good, solid AR can still be had for less also. Nothing wrong with going that route. Let’s say a S&W MP15 for $700. Can build that same gun for under $500! And the build will likely have better accuracy.

And then there is bottom of barrel cheap! AK accuracy but will still be dependable. You can build or buy these ridiculous cheap! Like under $250 for a complete upper.

So what is it you are looking for?
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast