Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default Ruger 10 22 bolt not closing

I have a Ruger 10 22 takedown model semi auto in .22lr. I brough it out yesterday to the range but the bolt wouldnt close and i couldnt shoot it.
    I'm pressing the bolt release lever while holding the bolt back but the bolt doesnt move. Then I tried spraying Balistol on the bolt to lubricate it. The bolt can be pushed forward but not all the way after Ballistol.
    I only put about 100 rounds through the rifle but never cleaned it yet.
    Anyone experience the same issue? How did you fix it?

Default Re: Ruger 10 22 bolt not closing

Never Cleaned it ? before shooting ? latches sometimes get crudded up even from factory.Ballistol then hold latch down and use a can of air blaster from computers.

Check carefully, there could be a piece of broken brass stuck in there.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    I have a Ruger 10 22 takedown model semi auto in .22lr. I brough it out yesterday to the range but the bolt wouldnt close and i couldnt shoot it.
    I'm pressing the bolt release lever while holding the bolt back but the bolt doesnt move. Then I tried spraying Balistol on the bolt to lubricate it. The bolt can be pushed forward but not all the way after Ballistol.
    I only put about 100 rounds through the rifle but never cleaned it yet.
    Anyone experience the same issue? How did you fix it?
    Take it apart. Make sure there is nothing goofy going on with the recoil spring/rod assembly. There really isn't much to go wrong in a 10/22.

-Zach

(Adams County)

I put an aftermarket rail on top of my 10/22 and the screws were just a hair too long. Obstructed the bolt from cycling. Had to file down the bolt by 1/32 of an inch.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtwalker View Post
    I put an aftermarket rail on top of my 10/22 and the screws were just a hair too long. Obstructed the bolt from cycling. Had to file down the bolt by 1/32 of an inch.
    That'll do it. Glad to hear you got it figured out.

-Zach

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtwalker View Post
    That might be it, before i shot it I took the original rail and 4 original screws off the top of receiver. Then I screwed the 4 screws back on tight without the rail. I got to verify this when I get home.

(Centre County)

If it came with the rail attached, the screws are made to fit the rail and receiver to provide clearance for the bolt to move. If you put the rail screws back in, they will be protruding into the receiver and interfering with the bolt. If you remove the rail and screws you should replace the rail screws with plug screws which fill the screw holes but do not protrude into the receiver (plug screws actually have a head on them so they cannot be set too deep - they are different than set screws).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    If it came with the rail attached, the screws are made to fit the rail and receiver to provide clearance for the bolt to move. If you put the rail screws back in, they will be protruding into the receiver and interfering with the bolt. If you remove the rail and screws you should replace the rail screws with plug screws which fill the screw holes but do not protrude into the receiver (plug screws actually have a head on them so they cannot be set too deep - they are different than set screws).
    thanks, think this was the issue. Hope I didnt mess anything up especially the bolt.