Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Erie County)

Question kimber Pro Carry vs. Pro Carry II

Howdy folks. I have a few questions about the Kimber Pro Carry series 1911s.

What are the main differences are between the Pro Carry and the Pro Carry II? I've googled around a bit and most sites talk about an additional safety on the II, but not much else.

I know of a Pro Carry I for sale locally at a good price, but I'm wondering if spending the extra money on a NEW Pro Carry II is justified, and if there are any reasons to avoid one or the other.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: kimber Pro Carry vs. Pro Carry II

Kimber series II have the firing pin locks.

All I'm going to say about it is firing pin locks on 1911's are ill advised.

(Lehigh County)

I think the Pro carry has internal extractor and some of the Pro carry II has external extractor but I'm so sure 'cause my Kimber Compact and Compact SS II both have internal extractors. Series II also have firing pin locks.

Stay tuned, gotta get pics.

Ok, here we go.

The series 1s all have internal extractors, the IIs can have either, the new production series IIs have the internal. Kimber had some issues with the external extractor, some pistols worked great, some horrible. Kimber scrapped the external and went back to the internal sue to customer demand(I got this info directly from Kimber customer service)

Safties, the series 1s are based on the Colt Series 70 style with no firing pin safety.

The Series IIs are based on the Colt Series 80 style with the firing pin safety.

The firing pin safety is a pin liked to the pin that holds the sear and the disconnector togeeather, that pin is lifted up by depressing the grip safety, and the pin pushes up a "button" on the under side of the slide and moves the firing pin into the firing position.

Most 1911 fans don't like the Series 80/Series II safties as it is one more thing that can break, and requires the gun to be disassemnled a little differently. Also, some guns with the series 80/series II safties are a little more fussy in operation. Some guns the pin may be too short and not ush up on the "button" as well as it should. Mainly this is due to incorrect take down and reassembly.

The difference in field stripping is that the grip safety MUST NOT be pressed in during take down and reassembly or the slide will damage the pin that lifts the "button" the pin sticks up out of the frame when the grips safety is pushed in. If done incorrectly you can damage the pin and the safety won't work.

Disabling the series 80/series II safety: Some people will remove the parts, DO NOT DO THIS, you should never disable the safety of any weapon.

Pics:

Series 1 and series II, both with internal extractors. Series I type pistol is on top.

Series II, grip safety not pressed in (active) you can see the pin inside the frame

Grip safety pressed in (inactive) you can see the pin poking out

Series 1 bottom of slide

Series II bottom of slide

I can't show the internal parts of the slide safety mechanism as it requires removal of the rear sight.

Hope this helps your understanding of the difference between the two.

Also, buy a series I if you can find them.
    Last edited by jdlv4_0; March 9th, 2007 at 07:15 PM.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Erie County)

outstanding answers. thank you all for your help explaining this for me (and everyone else who reads this thread)