Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Bad time to use ammo? Go ahead and shoot?

Are you actually going to the range as normal right now? Less often but still going? Not shooting at all?

Before everyone starts with "you should have 10,000 rounds of every caliber" nonsense, I don't. I've got about 2000 9mm, about 1000 rounds of 5.56, and probably 400 shotgun shells. Bad timing for all of this shit to happen. I didn't stock up on ammo in the winter because I rarely shoot when the weather sucks and I didn't have money to spend on gun food that I wasn't going to use for a while. The thing that concerns me is that even IF things go back to normal in the next few months, the 3 week shipping times disappear from online retailers, and people stop trying to sell 9mm ammo for .30 or more per round, there's still an election at the end of the year. The panic buying and ammo hoarding will start again (assuming it slows down at some point). And if we end up with a democrat in the white house?

My plan is to buy some airsoft guns to shoot in the yard so I don't go insane, buy ammo as it becomes available, and only plan on using any of it if I have no choice.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Bad time to use ammo? Go ahead and shoot?

If you have the money, pickup ammo at a good price when you see it to at least replenish what you expend at the range. Supplement with dry fire practice to conserve ammo.

I'm still shooting once or twice a week, but my sessions are always short, one gun and about 50 rounds. My club is 5 min away so quick sessions are feasible. I feel it's necessary to keep up with practice just also buy ammo when you can to keep your numbers up.

(Bucks County)

How many SHTF gunfights are you planning to survive to shoot up 2000 rounds of 9mm? Save a couple hundred for if things get bad and blast away. This "crisis" is temporary in nature and ammo will be cheap and plentiful again. But you should stock up more when the Dems get in power and start banning things. You will still not need it all but your kids will.

Anything can happen, plan accordingly. Make friends with a reloader and collect components instead of ammo ??

I just shot 500 rounds last weekend playing with a new Binary Trigger Now I have 9500 rounds left...

I (re)loaded about 5K more rounds when the shutdown started, just from boredom ...

(Elk County)

I actually have been to the range (outdoor) more in the past two months than in the past five years. I've been verifying that I can still see the sights and can still hit the targets with my stable of "go to" usual suspect firearms, and some of the guns that haven't been fired in over 5 years. I had a few guns that I picked up in the past year and finally test drove them, too. I got enough ammo to last well past my lifetime.

Discovered that a Colt reproduction 1911A1 produced ~ 10 yrs ago that I bought used turned out to have a broken extractor (the claw was broken off), and it also had a phosphated chamber to match the rest of the pistol. The phosphate gripped the cartridge cases too much and caused some delayed extractions or no extractions, and that's what likely caused the broken extractor; previous owner probably slingshot the slide to get the stuck case out. Sold that POS two weeks ago with total disclosure. I didn't want to polish the phosphate out of the chamber and have some Colt purist say, "It's missing the phosphate in the chamber!"

The best thing about shooting now? There's nobody at the two ranges at which I belong.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Berks County)

My range is closed but I'll soon bundle up some newspaper and go out back.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    How many SHTF gunfights are you planning to survive to shoot up 2000 rounds of 9mm? Save a couple hundred for if things get bad and blast away. This "crisis" is temporary in nature and ammo will be cheap and plentiful again. But you should stock up more when the Dems get in power and start banning things. You will still not need it all but your kids will.
    I've got 30 magazines for my Berettas and 7 magazines for my Stribog so that 2000 rounds will disappear fast. Last time I went to the range, my wife and I shot about 600 rounds of 9mm. We don't have kids.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    I've got 30 magazines for my Berettas and 7 magazines for my Stribog so that 2000 rounds will disappear fast. Last time I went to the range, my wife and I shot about 600 rounds of 9mm. We don't have kids.
    I meant if the SHTF and the world melts down I doubt you will survive enough shootouts to ever come close to needing 2000 rounds in reserve for self defense. (Unless you are a very good shot). So save what you think you realistically will need and go shooting. We all need to get out of the house by now.

There is no place to shoot! All the state ranges are closed!
    I'm a Rep Virgin

(Allegheny County)

well..... if you HAD 10,000 rounds of every caliber..You wouldn't even have needed to make this post.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast