Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Daughter looking at homes in the Pocono area

Hello all,

Maybe you can give some advice regarding nice and bad areas in the Pocono region for my daughter to look at homes. She's been so spooked by this virus she said she will never live in a big city again-----So she's looking in the Poconos because she occasionally has to go to NY and to Philly. My wife and I are happy she's finally seeing the light and waking up with stuff going on. Thanks in advance for your help--

BTW, no kids
    Wants a single home
    Prefer in a neighborhood setting but open to an acre in the woods.
    Price?? 200K or less....
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Daughter looking at homes in the Pocono area

There's too many Noo Yawkaz in the Poconos. There are still some nice rural pockets in the Eastern Berks/Lower Lehigh/NW Upper Bucks area that are affordable with non-ridiculous property taxes.

Many areas of the Poconos are what many would term ghetto. Poconos are ruined. Just read the Pocono Record everyday and you will see how much crime is going on here. And I think you know where most of the ghetto people came from.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    Hello all,

Maybe you can give some advice regarding nice and bad areas in the Pocono region for my daughter to look at homes. She's been so spooked by this virus she said she will never live in a big city again-----So she's looking in the Poconos because she occasionally has to go to NY and to Philly. My wife and I are happy she's finally seeing the light and waking up with stuff going on. Thanks in advance for your help--

BTW, no kids
    Wants a single home
    Prefer in a neighborhood setting but open to an acre in the woods.
    Price?? 200K or less....
    What area is she in now, and where does she work? It might affect the decision. If she is in the NY metro and works in the city, regular bus service for NYC commuters is a limiting factor. There are a lot of these folks in the Lehigh Valley that take the bus to NYC every day for work and the same is true in the Pocono area.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Pike County)

My wife and I moved up to the Poconos-one of the lake communities-6 months ago and, apart from the corona virus games, have been very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by frankie View Post
    Many areas of the Poconos are what many would term ghetto. Poconos are ruined. Just read the Pocono Record everyday and you will see how much crime is going on here. And I think you know where most of the ghetto people came from.

Yeah I am pretty sure I do not live in the Ghetto here in the West end.

Like almost everywhere else in the country there are good areas and there are bad areas, I am pretty confident there are plenty of good areas and communities left up here that a young lady could find a safe place to live and be happy for years to come.
    Last edited by Hodgie; April 29th, 2020 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Yeah I am pretty sure I do not live in the Ghetto here in the West end.

Like almost everywhere else in the country there are good areas and there are bad areas, I am pretty confident there are plenty of good areas and communities left up here that a young lady could find a safe place to live and be happy for years to come.
    I did say many areas and that means not all areas. 34 years in my home and have seen a drastic change for the worse. Many will agree. Many won't.

(Monroe County)

When I was looking to buy a house, I avoided HOA communities(Pocono Country Place, Penn Estates, Saw Creek, etc.) and concentrated on properties that had the right size house and acreage. From a property taxes stand point, she might be better off looking outside of Monroe County. While much depends on the economic repercussions of the shut down, with proper guidance, I would think she should be able to find something pretty nice in that price bracket, preferably with at least a two hundred yard range and suitable backstop.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; April 29th, 2020 at 04:47 PM.

(Wayne County)

Mikelets456, how often does she need to go to Philthy and NYC? From my area she can be in either one in 2 hours. Buses run all the time from up this way to NYC. Nice country liven and taxes are about 3400 for school and property. Something in the 200K area would be cheaper on the taxes. You

(Wayne County)

Just let her know that in the next 2-3 years everybody else living in Philly, north Jersey and NYC has had the same idea. We saw it in the mid-late 80s and again after the towers come down on 9/11. People STREAMED out of NYC in 2002-2003. There is going to be a profane rush for property and houses in this area in the next few years. I guarantee it. Cost is going to skyrocket, as will taxes.

The Lehigh Valley was suggested. There's still some nice property for sale there. Just make sure the area isn't zoned light industrial or she'll end up with a beautiful house surrounded by 1 million square foot warehouses. They are plaguing the Lehigh Valley lately.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast