Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Colt

Question Colt

Time for a Supid Question: Does Colt make DA revolvers anymore???
    "A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
    - HMPM-
    - GoArmy.com

(Bedford County)

Default Re: Colt

Yes sir they do.

The Colt Python and Anaconda are still in production as part of Colt's "Custom Shop".

Each gun goes over $1,000.

Standard production of the Anaconda, Python, Magnum Carry, Detective Spl, and King Cobra was cancelled in 1997 with the last guns going out in 1998.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post
    Yes sir they do.

The Colt Python and Anaconda are still in production as part of Colt's "Custom Shop".

Each gun goes over $1,000.

Standard production of the Anaconda, Python, Magnum Carry, Detective Spl, and King Cobra was cancelled in 1997 with the last guns going out in 1998.
    Sadly, I'm not sure that's correct.

Several months ago I read a feature in American Handgunner or Shooting Times. It was about the last Colt Python ever to be made by the Custom Shop. Gold inlay, fully engraved, valued at some $100k+ price and sent to the NRA for display or something like that. I'll see if I can dig it up and post some excerpts. They interviewed the two guys left at Colt who were allowed to make Pythons -- both sounded pretty distraught, given that they'd just made their (last)masterpiece.

I'm pretty sure Custom Shop production stopped in 2003-2004 (after regular producted ended in 97 or 98). The Colt website was out of date for a long time. The Python is no longer listed, in any case.

They're still making 1911s, ARs, and SAAs, though.

Very sad, even to a die hard S&W revolver fan. I really liked the Python. Accurate, sturdy, good trigger, certainly beautiful looking. The only problem with the Python was that it cost so damn much to get the cylinder rotating in the proper direction after you bought it!

Edit to add: You can still see the Python on the site, but only if you google for it. The direct link on the Coltsmfg site has been removed.
    Last edited by Rule10b5; March 9th, 2007 at 09:16 AM.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

Thanks for the update - - - - It's a shame that they stoped producing them
    "A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
    - HMPM-
    - GoArmy.com