Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Off grid power sources (portable)

I have a Bioenno lithium battery (lifepo4) that i use for portable ham radio use. Dakota Lithium makes a good battery pack as well.

(Warren County)

Portable by vehicle... Dual Fuel Generator
    Propane and Gas. you can pick up propane tanks CHEAP on craigslist and propane does not go bad like gasoline.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Montgomery County)

I got the 7 watt panel at Harbor Freight.
    Ordered a solar charge controller on Amazon, the cheap blue one with led display. It also has 2 USB power outlets.
    Tractor battery from WalMart.

The battery and controller fit inside a large ammo can, with room for extra wiring and connectors. Panel does not fit inside. I have a car lighter socket connected to the output of the charge controller, so I can charge up any 12 volt items from it. Using a small inverter in the lighter socket, I can run small 110 volt items (though it would not power my 42" TV. I used this setup to keep some stuff running last week when we lost power for a few days after that little but wicked storm.

(Wyoming County)

This Messick's PTO Generator just released and has me in research mode. I have a Kubota BX25 to run it with.

Not sure I can swallow the $2K for a Winco, but I'm looking at other options like a Northstar from Northern Tool Link:https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...8467_200308467
    for $999

I already have a 4k watt Champion 220v that sits on my back porch and is super easy to start and hook up, but it can't handle the well pump/hot water heater if other things are running.

The trouble with getting a PTO set will mean I have to remove my backhoe whenever needed. It would be worth it for extended outages, but for the usual 2-8 hour events not so sure.

"It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    This Messick's PTO Generator just released and has me in research mode. I have a Kubota BX25 to run it with.

Not sure I can swallow the $2K for a Winco, but I'm looking at other options like a Northstar from Northern Tool Link:https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...8467_200308467
    for $999

I already have a 4k watt Champion 220v that sits on my back porch and is super easy to start and hook up, but it can't handle the well pump/hot water heater if other things are running.

The trouble with getting a PTO set will mean I have to remove my backhoe whenever needed. It would be worth it for extended outages, but for the usual 2-8 hour events not so sure.

Then you tractor is tied up running the generator and you may need your tractor to do other work. Generators should be stand alone, use whatever fuel or set up is best suited for your purposes but it shouldn't rely on other equipment to run it.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Carbon County)

Great little propane generator that I ran this summer at our cabin, to power a couple fans and charge the Ryobi multi battery charger. It*s quiet, and lasts a long time on a 20lb tank.
    https://www.ryobitools.com/products/...rter-generator

Home Depot has it as discontinued, but this looks to be the exact same thing under a different brand.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Baja-900...-306283803-_-N

The Ryobi was only $239 when I bought it. Very portable, and we have a bunch of grill tanks, several 100 tanks, and the extension hose, so this just makes a lot of sense for me as a low wattage solution.

Also have a couple of small folding solar chargers with USB outputs, and have picked up several nice USB rechargeable flashlights, lanterns, and headlamps. These have saved using so many batteries, and have paid for themselves many times over. Plus it*s a great convenience to not be *out* of batteries on an extended trip.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ABuck View Post
    Great little propane generator that I ran this summer at our cabin, to power a couple fans and charge the Ryobi multi battery charger. It*s quiet, and lasts a long time on a 20lb tank.
    https://www.ryobitools.com/products/...rter-generator

Home Depot has it as discontinued, but this looks to be the exact same thing under a different brand.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Baja-900...-306283803-_-N

The Ryobi was only $239 when I bought it. Very portable, and we have a bunch of grill tanks, several 100 tanks, and the extension hose, so this just makes a lot of sense for me as a low wattage solution.

Also have a couple of small folding solar chargers with USB outputs, and have picked up several nice USB rechargeable flashlights, lanterns, and headlamps. These have saved using so many batteries, and have paid for themselves many times over. Plus it*s a great convenience to not be *out* of batteries on an extended trip.

Would that be safer than gasoline vis-a-vis Carbon Monoxide?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Would that be safer than gasoline vis-a-vis Carbon Monoxide?
    Propane still needs to be run outside...regardless of fuel source. Propane is also safer than gas...less chance of having an issue with fire.

Carbon monoxide is produced by propane, natural gas, and gasoline. Propane also produces a lot of moisture, as does NG.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Solar is only good if there is a lot of sunshine, in PA, sunny days are limited.

On the other hand both flowing water and wind are plentiful in PA.

Check this out: https://www.waterlilyturbine.com/

Go check out he field tests on YouTube.
    It all depends on what kind of panels you have. In northern Vermont we were using 75 or 100 watt panels so even on cloudy days charging was happening. Of course it wasn't a max charge, but a charge nonetheless. Wind also has it's drawbacks as not every day is a windy one. When these bad days happened, you just had to adjust your power consumption. The size of your battery bank is also a factor.

Here in Florida I'm getting ready to set up a system of 2 - 100 watt panels each going to 2 6v golf cart batteries for 12volts. In case of power loss due to a hurricane I will at least have lights, fans, and radio. The last hurricane we had left us without power for 3 days.
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    It all depends on what kind of panels you have. In northern Vermont we were using 75 or 100 watt panels so even on cloudy days charging was happening. Of course it wasn't a max charge, but a charge nonetheless. Wind also has it's drawbacks as not every day is a windy one. When these bad days happened, you just had to adjust your power consumption. The size of your battery bank is also a factor.

Here in Florida I'm getting ready to set up a system of 2 - 100 watt panels each going to 2 6v golf cart batteries for 12volts. In case of power loss due to a hurricane I will at least have lights, fans, and radio. The last hurricane we had left us without power for 3 days.
    What happens when the hurricane decides to relocate your panels, or drops a tree on them?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast