Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Washington County)

Default How have you failed to be prepared for COVID-19 crisis

Obviously I have lots of guns and ammo. Live-feed security systems at both business and farm. House is armed up for a siege. House is plumbed to convert to gravity-fed water if needed. Have ducks for eggs which I'm enjoying almost every day. We have goats, plenty of deer and turkeys on our farm for meat if needed, we have freezer full of food, but here's where I have failed:

Lack of medicine for my wife's kidney transplant. She only gets a 30-day supply each time, but we should have kept a minimum of a 90 day supply on hand, if not a 6 month supply.

Really failed there. Lesson learned. Now we haven't had trouble getting her meds from the Mayo Clinic in MN, but what if SHTF for 90 days.

How about you?
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: How have you failed to be prepared for COVID-19 crisis

Maybe I missed it but I don't think I seen anyone who posted about stocking up on pet food too.
    Some might disagree, but our dog is almost like a kid to us.
    When all this apocalypse stuff was just starting to get a little bit crazy, as in noticing the store shelves not being restocked on some things, I guess I got a bit paranoid.
    We're almost always prepared for a couple of weeks with food and dry goods.
    But I noticed how dog food was not being restocked as much, at least the brand we buy. Had a full 15 pound bag at home, but I bought 2 more bags at Walmart. Then next time I was shopping I seen it was sold out.
    Went to tractor supply store and got a 30 pound bag. So we still have 45 pounds unopened for a 67 pound dog. And it looks like the store is able to stock it again now.
    My wife feeds a few feral farm cats too, I don't really give a shit about them, they can fend for themselves if they have to. But we are in a rural area and they do really help with the rodent issues we have, especially in the winter.
    So I got a little bit of extra for the little commie moochers too, just to shut up the wife. 😁
    LUKE 11:21 == Proverbs 29:2 = Proverbs 25:28

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Irwin Inhabitant View Post
    Maybe I missed it but I don't think I seen anyone who posted about stocking up on pet food too.
    When all this apocalypse stuff was just starting to get a little bit crazy, as in noticing the store shelves not being restocked on some things, I guess I got a bit paranoid.
    But I noticed how dog food was not being restocked as much, at least the brand we buy. Had a full 15 pound bag at home, but I bought 2 more bags at Walmart. Then next time I was shopping I seen it was sold out.
    Went to tractor supply store and got a 30 pound bag. So we still have 45 pounds unopened for a 67 pound dog. And it looks like the store is able to stock it again now.
    My wife feeds a few feral farm cats too, I don't really give a shit about them, they can fend for themselves if they have to. But we are in a rural area and they do really help with the rodent issues we have, especially in the winter.
    So I got a little bit of extra for the little commie moochers too, just to shut up the wife. 
    We get our dog food from TS. I picked up two 30 lb bags in March when TP, meat, and ammo started getting scarce.

Our monster dog eats too much, if the supply gets scarce and we have to improvise.

I also got two pounds of cig tobacco that I just finished. Ordered some more online because the smoke shops are closed and the beer distributors "aren't allowed " to sell it now.

pet food is a good note.
    i'll have to look at dates on the 16# bag and consumption rates to see being +1 on that is a good call.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

(Bucks County)

So I got a little bit of extra for the little commie moochers too, just to shut up the wife. ��
    You're absolutely right. I picked up extra food for our cat. We just opened a new bag of hard food so I need to check our stock of it and possibly get an extra bag. Try to keep myself two bags ahead of what he's using. He also gets a smackeral of soft food each day, 1/4 can, so a case from Costco lasts a long time.

(Erie County)

I did nothing to prepare, and that was enough. I haven't run out of anything. I sure miss baseball though. I guess I could have gotten a mask or two, since we now have to wear useless masks.

(Bucks County)

I've been prepared since the Cold War. Now that we have a Cold Civil War........well.......still ready.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Westmoreland County)

So I got a little bit of extra for the little commie moochers too, just to shut up the wife.
    😁
    Sounds like your wife and my ex-MIL are cut form the same cloth; probably feeding the same ferals. MIL's farm is just over the hill in Adamsburg, lol. You should name the commie ferals after Stalin, Mao, Kim, etc. My son that lives with my ex-MIL hate her obnoxious house cats so much that we renamed them after Washington Capitals players. Oshie, Ovechkin and Backstrom. LOL.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    Obviously I have lots of guns and ammo. Live-feed security systems at both business and farm. House is armed up for a siege. House is plumbed to convert to gravity-fed water if needed. Have ducks for eggs which I'm enjoying almost every day. We have goats, plenty of deer and turkeys on our farm for meat if needed, we have freezer full of food, but here's where I have failed:

Lack of medicine for my wife's kidney transplant. She only gets a 30-day supply each time, but we should have kept a minimum of a 90 day supply on hand, if not a 6 month supply.

Really failed there. Lesson learned. Now we haven't had trouble getting her meds from the Mayo Clinic in MN, but what if SHTF for 90 days.

How about you?
    I'm have type 2 diabetes and do slow release insulin. Getting a good back up supply is very difficult given the cost and shelf-life.

Quote Originally Posted by ItchyTick View Post
    I'm have type 2 diabetes and do slow release insulin. Getting a good back up supply is very difficult given the cost and shelf-life.
    are there other alternatives you can take that have longer shelf lives?

eta: note, I don't have diabetes, no one in my direct family has it, so I don't know what I don't know. that said...
    https://survivallife.com/are-you-an-...ndent-prepper/
    https://www.askaprepper.com/make-insulin-shtf/
    https://www.askaprepper.com/9-natura...l-find-useful/
    http://preparedchristian.net/prepare...for-diabetics/

Can Syringes Be Reused?
    “Fourteen insulin-dependent diabetics were asked to use their insulin syringe-needle units three times in succession to determine the efficacy and safety of this practice. The mean duration of time each patient participated in the study was 20.4 weeks, and a total of 2,000 injections were taken. No signs of infections at the injection site were observed. Multiple use of disposable insulin syringe-needle units appears to be safe and cost-beneficial.”
    I hope that helps.
    Last edited by sota; April 29th, 2020 at 12:19 PM.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast