Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Lights on your carry gun

I’m of the mind set of having a light on my EDC gun because it’s also my bed side gun

Light or no light ? And why

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Lights on your carry gun

Quote Originally Posted by Sdc112994 View Post
    I’m of the mind set of having a light on my EDC gun because it’s also my bed side gun

Light or no light ? And why
    Well, it depends on you.

Weaponlights are for the slim scenario of you having to draw your weapon in a poorly lit area and identifing a target. So you'd be muzzling (or close to)everything you illuminate. People wouldnt appreciate that if they are a non target, and its a safety/training concern.

They also add bulk and weight to the weapon, and now you need light bearing holsters. There also some maintenance required with batteries and whatnot, also getting the lens covered in carbon, so its a bit more to clean. The weight helps with actual shooting, but makes the firearm slower to move around.

For a nightstand gun, it makes a lot of sense. For low light conditions, most people just accept night sights and threat identification is at the mercy of ambient light.

Personally, I run them on quite a few platforms. My 5" MP 9mm has a streamlight on it, my G22 RTF2 has one, and my USP 45T runs one. The G22 has been an iwb CC for many years, and is a nightstand gun as well. Havnt had any issues with the light, or shooting/manipulating it. I'm a large framed guy, so it conceals alright. Havn't had any problems. OWB is easy peasy of course.

I edc a flashlight, so thats my night time illumination. I wouldnt be pulling my pistol and using my weaponlight unless im sure of a threat already.

It's nice for night time in the woods where you are identifying animals instead of people, but in everyday suburbia its not that practical unless shit really goes sideways. Your more likely to need a handheld flashlight than a weaponlight.
    Mostly browsing these days, and expanding the collection.

(Bucks County)

I do. At least on my m&ps.

Why? I'd want to damn sure of what I'm about to shoot at.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Duece McCracken View Post
    I edc a flashlight... Your more likely to need a handheld flashlight than a weaponlight.
    This covers it for me. I do have a rifle with a light, and a shotgun with a light, but I carry both a flashlight and a pistol... or two.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    This covers it for me. I do have a rifle with a light, and a shotgun with a light, but I carry both a flashlight and a pistol... or two.
    Agree. Light on long guns and a nightstand pistol. For carry, 1 flashlight in front pocket and 1 gun on hip. I pull that flashlight out numerous times during the week. The gun comes off at the end of the day or range trip. God willing it will always stay that way.

If flashlight was mounted to gun, then I would still have to carry that light in the pocket for all no threat times I use it. The extra bulk of a mounted light does not appeal to me. I will keep them separate.

(Chester County)

Not on carry gun but definitely bedside gun and bathroom gun. Yes, bathroom gun. If I'm in the shower and someone breaks in and turns out the lights they will have a surprise.

(Bucks County)

Not on carry gun, extra weight and size I don't need.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    Not on carry gun, extra weight and size I don't need.
    What do you do at night? Possibly coming home from work or walking a dog

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    Same here I always have a light in my pocket as well as one in the glove box. I’ve used them dozens of times and wouldn’t want them on a pistol. My main HD pistol has a weapon light on it as well as my main two AR’s.

(Franklin County)

Light on bedside gun but not on carry gun.
    If carry gun and bedside gun are the same gun (as in your situation). Get a light that's easy to mount with a quick disconnect on the rail, or keep a good flashlights next to the gun and learn how to use the flashlight and gun at the same time. There are tons of quality bright lights now that can easily be manipulated by your support hand.
    Last edited by ray h; April 10th, 2020 at 10:45 AM.
    The Hostler

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast