Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Sparking a lube debate...

I don't get wrapped around the axle about lube, I am of the mind that any quality grease/oil will do the job. The key is using the right amount and maintaining the firearm. That said, I have been using Weapon Shield produced by a local Pittsburgh based company. The oil comes in a needle applicator and the grease in a syringe so I can apply the right amount where I want it. I shoot shotgun, pistol and rifle and this stuff works for all three.

Wait, you are talking lube for firearms, correct?
    Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

(Northampton County)

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks. I have some Hoppes so I'll be recleaning everything today.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    Yeah WD40 isn't great because it dries out and becomes sticky and gummy. Works pretty well as a rust preventative though.
    You can flush out water with it if you got rained on. If you leave it on it promotes rust by the same action
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by edskyy View Post
    Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks. I have some Hoppes so I'll be recleaning everything today.
    Hoppes is a good cleaner but it is not a lube. You will need to oil / grease the friction surfaces when you are done. Luckily all you have to do is read this post again from the beginning to get some good recommendations. I personally go low tech with CLP or Mobile 1 for oil and cheap axle grease for harder wearing places like the frame slide track. I also use grease for most older military firearms. All of the lubes mentioned are better than even freshly applied WD-40.

If you really want to go to the dark side look up how to make Eds Red bore cleaner. That is all I use for cleaning and I make it by the quart. Hoppes should do a better job for plastic wad fowling on a shotgun but Eds Red is better for cleaning rifle and pistols (especially lead bullet lube residues). It doesn't smell as nice though.

(Chester County)

Ordered some amsoil cleaner/protectant and gun oil yesterday and was just delivered an hour ago. Standard shipping $3.99! Holy shit. Well turns out it came from thier warehouse in Lancaster. Very cool.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Knightshift View Post
    Ordered some amsoil cleaner/protectant and gun oil yesterday and was just delivered an hour ago. Standard shipping $3.99! Holy shit. Well turns out it came from thier warehouse in Lancaster. Very cool.
    Did you buy directly from them?
    All the landscapers who get into online pissing matches about lubes love that brand. Never tried it.
    Didn't realize they made gun lube.

I've been using Weapon Shield for years now. I like how it smells and it works great.
    Anyone is free to tell themselves that motor oil is "just as good ", but I'm not buying it.
    The first time I used WS on door hinges and gate hinges, they moved freely faster/smoother and lasted longer than any other household lubricant I had ever used.

I'm not saying that WS is the best, and while just about any lubes "will work", they are not all the same.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Did you buy directly from them?
    All the landscapers who get into online pissing matches about lubes love that brand. Never tried it.
    Didn't realize they made gun lube.

I've been using Weapon Shield for years now. I like how it smells and it works great.
    Anyone is free to tell themselves that motor oil is "just as good ", but I'm not buying it.
    The first time I used WS on door hinges and gate hinges, they moved freely faster/smoother and lasted longer than any other household lubricant I had ever used.

I'm not saying that WS is the best, and while just about any lubes "will work", they are not all the same.
    Yeah was directly from thier website. The gun products came out a couple years ago. All Amsoil stuff is top notch. Not cheap though. Have used thier stuff in manual trannies and rears(the car type sickos) but Mobil 1 for oil changes in my cars as the Amsoil motor oil is like $10 or$11a quart. They make great 2cycle oil too.

(Montgomery County)

Been through a bunch. Settled on running my ARs wet with Slip2000 and SEAL1 (excess removed) for everything else.

Just an update as if anyone gives a poop
    I tried to go to the range today but it’s cold and I was shooting like crap from round 1. Shot 50 rounds a piece through 2 handguns and left. I decided to stick with a few “proven” products. CLP will be my go to I’ll still and always use ballistol but not a whole lot cause it’s smell is strong. G96 triple action on my bolt guns and milcomm cause I have a $70 bottle of it on my suppressed AR. Once I use up the G96 I’ll just stick with CLP but I have 2 large spray cans of G96 so it will be a while.

(Juniata County)

Ballistol And LSA for everything.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast