Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Gunstore NOT doing person to person transfers

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I'm from 5 hrs way from SEPA, I don't know Targetmaster from Delia, and I don't know if they are open, open by appointment, or closed. Even if they are fully open and don't want to do transfers, that's their policy and I can respect that. But I am not one to hold that policy against them. Not doing transfers? I'll just move on to the next contestant.

Two of my local FFL friends started getting calls about doing transfers once two large semi-local gun shops closed completely due to CV. In the one FFL's case, he received separate calls from two individuals that won't darken his door in normal times, instead driving almost 40 miles one way to by their gun-related merchandise. So he tells them, sure, he'll do the transfers, quoting the (high) price that their 40 mile away regular shop charges for a transfer. My friend usually charges $20 for long gun, and $25 for a handgun, and the callers know this because what FFLs charge for transfers in this rural area is pretty well known, and point it out. "Not anymore," the FFL told them. "I charge the same as (the shop you frequent)." Both callers call him an asshole in so many words, and hang up.

So they are not even irregular customers, they want to be able to drive right past the place on the way to their normal FFL when they want, but they also want to be able to have a different FFL do a transfer when it pleases them, and they want to set the price. They want their cake and be able to eat it, too.

Hey, 'Murica. All about freedom and rights. Nothing about consideration.

Pardon my attitude. So far it's been two Mondays this week.

Noah
    The only loyalty I have when it comes to business is my own wallet. Does the gun store give a shit if my bills are paid ??? I go to any shop that gives me the best deal. Does this make me selfish.......ABSOFUCKINGLUTLY. But its just business. And if you want my business, ya gotta have a lower price than the other guy.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Chester County)

TSS in Avondale has always been helpful for transfers
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    The only loyalty I have when it comes to business is my own wallet. Does the gun store give a shit if my bills are paid ??? I go to any shop that gives me the best deal. Does this make me selfish.......ABSOFUCKINGLUTLY. But its just business. And if you want my business, ya gotta have a lower price than the other guy.
    Always chasing the lowest price doesnt yield quality long term results in my opinion. You should factor service into that as well. Otherwise you end up with Walmart and opticsplanet and all other retailers out of business and good luck getting help with anything with those two
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    I say fuck em. If a b&m store won't do FTF transfer service - if and when this shit ends, don't do business there of any kind and spread the word to all who might care to listen. I don't like Target Master even though it's close by so only use for ammo in a pinch. Guess I'll stop that, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I find comments in this thread disappointing.

Most everyone is pro-constitution, pro-"rights." Yet if an FFL in the "hot zone" doesn't want to open to perform a transfer due to the CV pandemic (perfectly within HIS rights; he is NOT obligated to perform a transfer or sell a firearm to anyone he doesn't want to), there are members here who say "Screw him, remember that when this is over and buy elsewhere."

Your right to buy or transfer a firearm at your convenience or desire overrides an FFL's right to stay closed because of CV if he so chooses, and the FFL is a fukkin' asshole for doing so, eh? 'Cause that's what it sound like to me.

Noah
    if you're open for business but only for sales of your own inventory, sure, it's legal and capitalist and your choice and all that, but is that in the spirit of supporting 2A? That's why I say f em going forward.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    How do you do a BGC on someone if you don't know who they are?
    The anonymity is on the part of the seller. The recipient must disclose their info to the system but it is not stored in the transaction record.

1) You agree to sell DudeX a firearm
    2) You call the BGC system and provide DudeX's info
    3) You get a proceed/deny response and act accordingly
    4) No information on the BGC is stored

Obviously, that wouldn't get past the grabbers, as it is unenforceable. You and I would argue that it is really no different than today: law-abiding citizens perform BGCs when needed, law-breaking citizens do not.

But I could envision a system that might satiate the grabber's concerns (not that they'd admit to it):

- The transaction could return an ID number that the seller can store as proof they performed a BGC with a "proceed" result
    - The seller could optionally provide their own information and the record of the transaction could be stored on their behalf

The bottom line is that we need to remove the FFL requirement from the process, or we need to find a way that guarantees FFLs will be available to perform transfers at a reasonable cost. NY was -->this<-- close to shutting down private transfers altogether with the SAFE act. When it first came out, most FFLs just flat-out refused personal transfers.

(Chester County)

I use this FFL near Embreeville close to the intersection of where Rte 162 and Strasburg Road become separate roads.

https://www.freedomtactical.net/ffl-services.html

Freedom Tactical.jpg
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    The anonymity is on the part of the seller. The recipient must disclose their info to the system but it is not stored in the transaction record.

1) You agree to sell DudeX a firearm
    2) You call the BGC system and provide DudeX's info
    3) You get a proceed/deny response and act accordingly
    4) No information on the BGC is stored

Obviously, that wouldn't get past the grabbers, as it is unenforceable. You and I would argue that it is really no different than today: law-abiding citizens perform BGCs when needed, law-breaking citizens do not.

But I could envision a system that might satiate the grabber's concerns (not that they'd admit to it):

- The transaction could return an ID number that the seller can store as proof they performed a BGC with a "proceed" result
    - The seller could optionally provide their own information and the record of the transaction could be stored on their behalf

The bottom line is that we need to remove the FFL requirement from the process, or we need to find a way that guarantees FFLs will be available to perform transfers at a reasonable cost. NY was -->this<-- close to shutting down private transfers altogether with the SAFE act. When it first came out, most FFLs just flat-out refused personal transfers.
    I’m not sure I follow you...but I think your plan is for a seller to hide from the govt the fact that he sold something to a buyer. Is that correct?

If so...I can tell you that I don’t give a shit if the govt knows I sold something. I only care if it knows I bought something....and your plan doesn’t seem to address that issue.

(Chester County)

Freedom Tactical refused to receive a gun from Buds Gun Shop for me.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    Freedom Tactical refused to receive a gun from Buds Gun Shop for me.
    Did they give you a reason for this action?

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I’m not sure I follow you...but I think your plan is for a seller to hide from the govt the fact that he sold something to a buyer. Is that correct?

If so...I can tell you that I don’t give a shit if the govt knows I sold something. I only care if it knows I bought something....and your plan doesn’t seem to address that issue.
    Sure, but it's a vast improvement on where we are now.

I would also point out that since they don't know what you sold, they don't know what you have.

How about this: any given person can run a BGC on themselves and, if successful, receives some kind of blanket authorization to purchase, good for X amount of time. Sellers only need to confirm this authorization is in place.

I'm sure you and I like this second suggestion better, but we also recognize that it is utterly ineffective.

Please don't mistake my position here as being in support of BGCs at all. I am of the position that anyone not incarcerated should have unfettered access to everything.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast