Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Gunstore NOT doing person to person transfers

Internet troll, thank you for that point of view.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I am acknowledging a dealers right to do what he thinks he needs to do to survive. If the government was forcing someone to be open and forcing them to do transfers through law I would be on the dealers side. I don’t think anyone is saying a ffl has to be open if they don’t feel safe but I might have missed it.

From what I could see in the op this is not a case of forcing ffls to open to do transfers. This is gun shops that are open for business not offering a service they normally do for consumers that many consumers need right now. In a case like this (like most) the only power a consumer has is with their wallet. If a store is not meeting a particular consumers they have the right to say "fine, you are not providing a service I need now, that’s your right, but I will not be spending money at your shop later which is my right". A shop can then say "get lost I don’t care’ or ‘I care about your business in the future, let me offer this service you need now."

No one is stepping on anyone’s Constitutional rights that I can see.
    Agree with you 100%, I was just about to post the same thing, the funny thing is that gun stores are a dime a dozen. I've been in the Pittsburgh area now for about 18 years and have visited around 40 different gun stores in the greater Pgh area. In the past few years I have bought guns from 8 different FFLs. So yes, if I was to run across an open FFL that didn't want to do a FTF transfer for me at this time I would be putting them at the bottom of a very long list for future buys.

But I do agree, they can run their shop however they want.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    Agree with you 100%, I was just about to post the same thing, the funny thing is that gun stores are a dime a dozen. I've been in the Pittsburgh area now for about 18 years and have visited around 40 different gun stores in the greater Pgh area. In the past few years I have bought guns from 8 different FFLs. So yes, if I was to run across an open FFL that didn't want to do a FTF transfer for me at this time I would be putting them at the bottom of a very long list for future buys.

But I do agree, they can run their shop however they want.
    Now is a great time for shops to earn customer loyalty...... or lose customer loyalty.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by 57springer View Post
    I may not have it correct, but seems the OP is referring to shops that are open . If they are and pick and chose customers to me that is wrong . I can see if they are closed ,that I get
    I'm from 5 hrs way from SEPA, I don't know Targetmaster from Delia, and I don't know if they are open, open by appointment, or closed. Even if they are fully open and don't want to do transfers, that's their policy and I can respect that. But I am not one to hold that policy against them. Not doing transfers? I'll just move on to the next contestant.

Two of my local FFL friends started getting calls about doing transfers once two large semi-local gun shops closed completely due to CV. In the one FFL's case, he received separate calls from two individuals that won't darken his door in normal times, instead driving almost 40 miles one way to by their gun-related merchandise. So he tells them, sure, he'll do the transfers, quoting the (high) price that their 40 mile away regular shop charges for a transfer. My friend usually charges $20 for long gun, and $25 for a handgun, and the callers know this because what FFLs charge for transfers in this rural area is pretty well known, and point it out. "Not anymore," the FFL told them. "I charge the same as (the shop you frequent)." Both callers call him an asshole in so many words, and hang up.

So they are not even irregular customers, they want to be able to drive right past the place on the way to their normal FFL when they want, but they also want to be able to have a different FFL do a transfer when it pleases them, and they want to set the price. They want their cake and be able to eat it, too.

Hey, 'Murica. All about freedom and rights. Nothing about consideration.

Pardon my attitude. So far it's been two Mondays this week.

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; April 7th, 2020 at 10:56 AM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Now is a great time for shops to earn customer loyalty...... or lose customer loyalty.
    Maybe, customers are not very loyal when it comes to a question of price. In fact, I have observed that a lot of the gun enthusiasts act like broke ass scroungers buying something from a dealer they have never dealt with to save 10 dollars. The market is what it is, competitive...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Maybe, customers are not very loyal when it comes to a question of price. In fact, I have observed that a lot of the gun enthusiasts act like broke ass scroungers buying something from a dealer they have never dealt with to save 10 dollars. The market is what it is, competitive...
    I can see that. I can only speak for myself. Personally I frequent 1 ffl because he has been a good guy willing to work with me in the past, offers good service. Joe at the Thin Blue Line. He’s earned my loyalty.

I order the majority of my ammo from sgammo because they have gone above and beyond in the past when they did not have to. They earned my loyalty.

There are others shops and places that I give preferential treatment to (gun and non gun related) because they’ve earned my loyalty in the past.

Yup, FFLs are not required to perform any transfers. We learned this in NY with the SAFE act, when all transfers had to go through an FFL and were limited by law to a $10 transfer fee. Basically shut down personal transfers completely for a while, until some FFLs started charging a $10 transfer fee and a $50 "convenience fee."

If you ask me, FFLs need to be removed from the background check process altogether. If we have to have BGCs, they should be anonymous and accessible to everyone.

(Delaware County)

OwnTheRide.....I 100% 2nd your notion. I cant wait for the day that they are either removed from the process so the private seller can get the PICS approval themselves, or, background checks are done away with all together. Id prefer the latter but I'll take the former.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Exactly. People can say whatever they want, but 90% of the people, 90% of the time, are just going to go with whomever has the cheapest net price on something, bottom line. I don't particularly blame a vendor when they take that into account.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    If we have to have BGCs, they should be anonymous and accessible to everyone.
    How do you do a BGC on someone if you don't know who they are?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast