I was discussing this with my fiancee'. As some of you know we have a little one on the way, what age should I teach our child to shoot at? I said I was thinking around the age of 5. She is adamantly against this age. She thinks I shouldnt teach the child how to shoot until atleast the age of 12 or 13.

My reasoning in teaching my child to safely use firearms at this age is because firearms are a big part of my life now, a hobby, a life style. I want to pass this on to my child. Also, by the time our kid is age 5 I'll have graduated college and have become a police officer (if all goes according to plan) which means my family will be a greater target than the average family. Something that seems to happen when homes are invaded is the children are often over looked while mommy and daddy get the heat. If got forbid mommy is incapacitated and unable to defend herself against the threat atleast my kid will have a chance at helping out.. I'm just thinking about this right now, I'm not set on anything. Maybe 5 years old is too young to give my child these types of instructions, maybe reserve that for a later age, however I don't think 5 is too young to take out to go shooting a .22. What are your thoughts folks?