Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default First AK-- suggestions

Well, the election is approaching and Obama is looking good, so I'm looking to get my hands on an AK before the election, when, if Obama does win, prices may skyrocket in anticipation of a new AWB.

So I'll be shopping in the Philadelphia area-- probably at South Philly Archery and Gun, Clayton's or In-Sight (unless someone here has better suggestions). I'll need something inexpensive. Ability to accept hi-cap mags is a requirement, and I'd prefer not to have to fuck around with a Dremel. I'm thinking a WASR-10.

Any suggestions?
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: First AK-- suggestions

A WASR-10 will be your cheapest option. IMHO, you would be much better off paying an extra $150 or so and buying a Yugo AK.

The Yugos are built much better and have less issues than the WASR rifles. Don't get me wrong the WASR will go bang, but for a little more money you can get a much better rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    A WASR-10 will be your cheapest option. IMHO, you would be much better off paying an extra $150 or so and buying a Yugo AK.

The Yugos are built much better and have less issues than the WASR rifles. Don't get me wrong the WASR will go bang, but for a little more money you can get a much better rifle.
    In what way are they better, what models should I be looking at, and about how much $$? Thanks.
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

(Lebanon County)

The Yugos are tighter, better machinning, better fitting, better finish. In the $600-750 range.

WASR's are looser, may have burrs here and there, may have a canted front sight or canted gas block (both easily seen and fixed), may have play in the magwell allowing the mag to wobbel, and may need a little judicious dremelling to accept Chinese drums (Romanian/Russian/etc work fine). A WASR will run you $300-450

I have a WASR with over 1200 rounds through it, and never a malfunction. I know a guy who has put over 15,000 rounds through his at last count, including just about every Tactical Response course offered, and had only a few operator error malfunctions.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Philadelphia County)

I belong to the Phila Archery & Gun Club, and they do not have any WASR's.
    They do have plenty of AR's though. An AK or AR are going to be your best investment.

WASR's are definitely going to be your cheaper and more affordable AK (but they are good), but the Yugo is an awesome AK, I have one and I love it.

I was just at a gun shop in Feasterville on Saturday called Surplus City. They have a very large selection of WASR's for 399.00 and a few Yugo's Tantals and SKS's..all in very nice condition. The owner hand picks them himself from Century Arms. I think I will be going back there to get another AK myself.
    Check them out.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

Quote Originally Posted by truecrimson View Post
    The Yugos are tighter, better machinning, better fitting, better finish. In the $600-750 range.

WASR's are looser, may have burrs here and there, may have a canted front sight or canted gas block (both easily seen and fixed), may have play in the magwell allowing the mag to wobbel, and may need a little judicious dremelling to accept Chinese drums (Romanian/Russian/etc work fine). A WASR will run you $300-450
    Couldn't have said it better.

Do yourself a favor and get a Yugo, I have 3 Centuries and they are freaking awesome. Solid as a rock, tight as a drum and accurate as hell.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by RONNIE77 View Post
    I belong to the Phila Archery & Gun Club, and they do not have any WASR's.
    They do have plenty of AR's though. An AK or AR are going to be your best investment.

WASR's are definitely going to be your cheaper and more affordable AK (but they are good), but the Yugo is an awesome AK, I have one and I love it.

I was just at a gun shop in Feasterville on Saturday called Surplus City. They have a very large selection of WASR's for 399.00 and a few Yugo's Tantals and SKS's..all in very nice condition. The owner hand picks them himself from Century Arms. I think I will be going back there to get another AK myself.
    Check them out.
    Thanks. I know I've seen AKs there before though...any Yugos to your knowledge? If not I'll check out the place in Feasterville-- it's just that South Philly Archery and Gun is considerably closer to me.

(Westmoreland County)

If you care to buy online...check this out!

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AKAGUNUF.aspx

Just don't tell me when you get it, cause I'll be jealous! LOL

I have an M70 fixed stock, but I feel a strong need for an underfolder as well!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Philadelphia County)

The next Philadelphia Armory Gun Show is Nov 8 if you can wait.

I have seen AKs of some type at SPAG but I don't know what their prices are. SPAG's prices in general seem all over the board: Certain items are very competively priced, others are way more expensive than at other stores.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    If you care to buy online...check this out!

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AKAGUNUF.aspx

Just don't tell me when you get it, cause I'll be jealous! LOL

I have an M70 fixed stock, but I feel a strong need for an underfolder as well!
    Well, that's definitely in my price range and I'd prefer an underfolder-- but the American-made receiver? Good shit or original Yugo receiver better? Or is that standard? I really don't know shit about the importation laws regarding AKs.

Also, never purchased anything but accessories online. How do you go about it? I mean, I know they have to ship to an FFL, so does that mean you go to your local gun shop first, show them the ad and have them arrange the transfer?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast