Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Question Best Self Defense Round in 9MM

Well, I went with a new 9MM as a carry gun. And now I have to decide on a round for self defense. I am using an XD 9MM Service Model. (4 inch barrel)

OK all you 9 MM fans. What do you recommend? And don't just say " A "Make" "Weight" "Shape" . Tell me what you are shooting. Then tell me why you chose this round and why you think it is better than the other rounds out there to use. Let me see you, talk me, into using your favorite round.

Sell it to me. Make me want to use that round.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Best Self Defense Round in 9MM

Reposted from another board.

This is from Dr. Gary Roberts, one of the most prominent and well respected ballisticians in the country.

Note the summation at the end (keys).

The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

9 mm:
    Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP (53617)
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
    Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP (53619)
    Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)

.40 S&W:
    Barnes XPB 140 & 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP (53961)
    Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)
    Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)
    Winchester Partition Gold 165 gr JHP (RA401P)
    Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)
    Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)
    Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)
    Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP (53966)
    Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)

.45 ACP:
    Barnes XPB 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
    Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP (23966)
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

Notes:
    -- Obviously, clone loads using the same bullet at the same velocity work equally well (ie. Black Hills ammo using Gold Dot bullets, etc…)

Keeping in mind that handguns generally offer poor incapacitation potential, bullets with effective terminal performance are available in all of the most commonly used duty pistol calibers--pick the one that you shoot most accurately, that is most reliable in the type of pistol you choose, and best suits your likely engagement scenarios. Whatever you choose, make sure you fire at least 500 and preferably 1000 failure free shots through your pistol prior to using it for duty. If your pistol cannot fire at least 1000 consecutive shots without a malfunction, something is wrong and it is not suitable for duty/self-defense use.

The keys are:

Invest in competent, thorough initial training and then maintain skills with regular ongoing practice

Acquire a reliable and durable weapon system

Purchase a consistent, robust performing duty/self-defense load in sufficient quantities (at least 1000 rounds) then STOP worrying about the nuances of handgun ammunition terminal performance.

(Philadelphia County)

you can take anything Doc Roberts says as gospel. I prefer the 147gr 9mm selections on the above list due to the lighter and less snappy recoil over lighter +P and +P+ loads and better penetration (though both are adequate).

I personally carry 147gr Winchester Ranger T.

(Cambria County)

Never gave the penetration side of it a thought. I was leaning towards the lighter round for more speed and better expansion. But there could be times where penetration would be important. Thanks for the imput. I just keep learning. I know more of you have thoughts on this. I would love to hear why you carry what you do.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    I was leaning towards the lighter round for more speed and better expansion.
    Modern 147gr bullet designs expand just as reliably as the +P rounds and have increased penetration and lighter, less snappy recoil.

That being said, I go with 147gr Ranger Talons.

(Philadelphia County)

to add on to all of the correct information Justin stated above. When i say penetration, i don't mean through objects the bad guy might be behind (though the slower, heavier 9mm's are better at that), but the bad guy himself. the lighter rounds on that list all make the 12" minimum through ballistics gel set forth by the IWBA, but the 147gr varieties tend to penetrate 2-4" more.

What is 2-4"? Consider how much of the upper torso is obscured by the arms of an attacker holding a gun or other weapon. That's about 2-4" of bad guy before you even hit the torso. Now, the 12" minimum standard takes this into account, but why be minimal when you can be exceptional? Wouldn't it be nice to know your ammunition still has another foot of penetration in it?

Now, before anyone tries to make that a case for a larger round, a 147gr 9mm has about the same penetration as a 180gr .40 and 230gr 45.

(Adams County)

I currently carry Remington 115gr JHP. You can get a box of 100 at WW for about $20. I know a lot of guys use more expensive ammo that runs $25 for 20 rounds. I like the Remington because I believe that you should shoot a bunch of what you want to carry to make sure it shoots well in your gun. I can afford to shoot more of the remingtons.

I also like the design of the hollow point. It seems to have a shallow wide cavity, and then a deeper narrower cavity. It almost looks like it would turn inside out at full expansion. I plan to do some expansion testing once it warms up. I'll probably use some wet phone books.

I shoot these from my 3"XD9
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    I'll probably use some wet phone books.

I shoot these from my 3"XD9
    This may sound silly, but there are a few ways to test bullets, waaaaay back when, people used to use a block of jello to test, when they wanted an undamaged bullet they used snow.

Snow aparently will stop almost any bullet within a few inches to a foot. Feathers also stop a bullet fast, down filled jackets and fleace are very good at stopping a bullet and leaving it almost undamaged. Jello on the other hand was one of the first mediums used to act like a human body.

If prepared properly, you can get jello to a substance that is similar to gunny bears. Actually, thats how Gummys came about!
    I remember way back when My mom used to make Jello Popcicles because they did not "melt" and drip as fast. My father often used Jello with a piece of wood inside to see how effective a shot would be, the Jello was representative of the fatty tissues and the wood acted like a bone.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Berks County)

My personal favorite is the Winchester Ranger 147 gr. SXT. It is marked for LE use but you can pick it up in most places. A LEO friend of mine suggested that I try it and my BHPs and Glocks seem to like it.

ETA: I am looking at trying the Hornady TAP rounds if/when I can find them. My preference will be for the 147s but it all depends on what I can get. If it performs better in my weapons I may change rounds but if it is about the same I'll have to think about it.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    I am looking at trying the Hornady TAP rounds if/when I can find them. My preference will be for the 147s but it all depends on what I can get. If it performs better in my weapons I may change rounds but if it is about the same I'll have to think about it.
    Ballistic testing i saw with the Hornady TAP was less than stellar. They had expansion issues. Their shotgun and rifle ammo is tops though.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast