Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Homemade masks are coming

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Both. They're probably not very effective at either, but they're an improvement. If anyone disagrees with that, I'd ask them if they'd rather see people cough into open air instead of into their elbow. That's probably not very effective either, but it helps.
    You say "both", but your follow up statement implies "protecting others" vs "both".

Not trying to be a dick, but your initial vague post could leave people thinking that a bandanna could be effective at preventing the wearer from contracting it, which is pretty much nonsense.
    Wearing one could "help" to prevent someone from coughing large particles onto someone nearby, but it's not...

Oh, nevermind. You know what I mean.
    The whole thing is getting out of control.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Franklin County)

I just received some info from another first-responder friend on how to potentially sanitize these home-made masks for re-use. It was part of an 81-page document he was provided with in regards to dealing with COVID.

My own intention is still to NOT wear a mask. If that becomes government mandated, I'll weigh my risks, depending on the specifics, and if I do use a mask at any point, I will definitely be following the recommended sanitation procedures.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17B...u_vO1oim7ww0gs
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I just received some info from another first-responder friend on how to potentially sanitize these home-made masks for re-use. It was part of an 81-page document he was provided with in regards to dealing with COVID.

My own intention is still to NOT wear a mask. If that becomes government mandated, I'll weigh my risks, depending on the specifics, and if I do use a mask at any point, I will definitely be following the recommended sanitation procedures.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17B...u_vO1oim7ww0gs

That would be rich, and not unsurprising. "ONLY HEALTHCARE WORKERS NEED MASKS!! TURN YOURS IN! MANUFACURERS MUST ONLY SEND TO HEALTHCARE!!!!"

Now, "YOU MUST ALL WEAR MASKS OR WE'LL FINE YOU!!!"

Oh wait, what's this?

"Residents in Laredo, Texas, who do not cover their mouth and nose with a mask or other make-shift device could face a $1,000 fine as the coronavirus continues to spread."

https://www.usnews.com/news/national...virus-outbreak

What a fucking clown show. Even on Amazon they now will sell only to healthcare facilities.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Telling me to turn in my mask 'cause I don't need it seemed so ridiculous at the time.....but they do.....right.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    As I asked Scruff... Effective at what?

At this point talking about mask "effectiveness" is pointless unless you specify WHAT you are talking about - protecting the wearer from contracting it, or preventing the wearer from spreading it.

You can't say "both" unless you are talking about preventing the wearer from contracting it.

You (not you specifically) need to SPECIFY what you are talking about because right or wrong, people reading are using this info as medical advice.
    Ok.
    N95's are in short supply, people are looking for alternatives, I posted an alternative that offers effective equivalent performance.

If you're asking me to make a statement regarding whether or not an N95 will prevent the transmission of COVID-19, I am not qualified to make that statement.
    COVID-19 is being studied, information is constantly changing, and I would say that at this moment, no one on earth can say with certainty how effective an N95 actually is.

In my non-medical opinion, with all the unknowns at the moment, I see nothing wrong with leaning towards caution and wearing a mask if desired.
    For those that want a mask, my post offers a readily available option that matches the performance and effectiveness of an N95, whatever that may be in this context.

COVID-19 is a serious disease, organizations sensationalizing it or using it for political purposes does not negate the reality of the disease.
    If people want to say it's a bad flu, or if people want to say it's something else, neither changes the reality that it exists and there is no immunity or vaccine yet.

Wearing masks during flu season or other events is common practice in many parts of the world, worn both by the sick and the vulnerable.
    I see nothing unusual going on here except that wearing masks has not been historically widespread in the US.

I would also add that the non-alarmist, dismissive, somewhat callous, and extremely well informed and connected doctor in my family told me to take COVID-19 seriously.
    This is the only time in my life that he has ever gone out of his way to issue such a warning to my family.

I trust him without reservation and I know he cares about my health and safety, if he wants my family to wear masks when around others then that is what we will do.
    He is cautiously optimistic about the treatments being developed and the vaccine being rushed through, in the mean time I will do as he requested and wear a mask.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Clinton County)

I don't leave the house without wearing a full NBC suit and SCBA.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

You say "both", but your follow up statement implies "protecting others" vs "both".

Not trying to be a dick, but your initial vague post could leave people thinking that a bandanna could be effective at preventing the wearer from contracting it, which is pretty much nonsense.
    Wearing one could "help" to prevent someone from coughing large particles onto someone nearby, but it's not...

Oh, nevermind. You know what I mean.
    The whole thing is getting out of control.
    No, I said that I'm guessing that a scarf or bandana would be 10% effective. Nobody should take medical advice from some random schlub's guess on the interwebz.

(Chester County)

You won't have to turn in your mask into the government you'll be turning them into 3M corporation so they can sell them to a foreign country because God only knows we to want foreigners to get sick.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    No, I said that I'm guessing that a scarf or bandana would be 10% effective. Nobody should take medical advice from some random schlub's guess on the interwebz.
    EFFECTIVE AT WHAT???

You never addressed the question!

Point missed completely!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

EFFECTIVE AT WHAT???

You never addressed the question!

Point missed completely!
    Already answered "both" when you asked whether "protecting the wearer from contracting it, or preventing the wearer from spreading it." 10% effectiveness (in other words, hardly at all but maybe a little) both ways is an opinion, a guess, not fact, not medical advice. Im not interested in arguing, have a nice day.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast