Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Homemade masks are coming

I remember those mosquito coils at the drive in movies I wonder if they'll work?

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Franklin County)

Just posted this on FB. I think the new recommendation is mostly meant to calm the masses, and not really an effective strategy.

A cluster randomised trial of cloth masks compared with medical masks in healthcare workers
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...FBmHutW88KH0GQ
    Conclusions
    This study is the first RCT of cloth masks, and the results caution against the use of cloth masks. This is an important finding to inform occupational health and safety. Moisture retention, reuse of cloth masks and poor filtration may result in increased risk of infection. Further research is needed to inform the widespread use of cloth masks globally. However, as a precautionary measure, cloth masks should not be recommended for HCWs, particularly in high-risk situations, and guidelines need to be updated.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Berks County)

Are these sew at home masks approved by the Board of Health, FDA, AMA, et al? All they are is a feel good thing, you know, like virtue signaling.

On another note, how long is one N95 or 95N (whatever they are) good for?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Are these sew at home masks approved by the Board of Health, FDA, AMA, et al? All they are is a feel good thing, you know, like virtue signaling.

On another note, how long is one N95 or 95N (whatever they are) good for?
    On the second question, my EMT friend says a max of 12 hours is the recommendation. Obviously, in a hospital setting, dealing with multiple patients, normal protocol would be to change after every patient.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    On the second question, my EMT friend says a max of 12 hours is the recommendation. Obviously, in a hospital setting, dealing with multiple patients, normal protocol would be to change after every patient.
    Thanks, and could that be converted to a cumulative 12 hours of intermittent use? I have some masks if I need them but I only have a few and to burn one every time I go out would kill the supply in no-time.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks, and could that be converted to a cumulative 12 hours of intermittent use? I have some masks if I need them but I only have a few and to burn one every time I go out would kill the supply in no-time.
    That's really the issue.
    N95's are disposable masks, always have been, it is not unusual for 2 guys to go through an entire box of 20 in a day when doing very dirty construction/renovation work.

N95's are not reusable under normal circumstances.
    There is a research hospital that has developed a way to fumigate contaminated N95 masks with hydrogen peroxide so they can be reused.
    But the process involves specialized equipment and cannot be replicated at home.

Truly effective cloth masks with a HEPA filter insert are only partly reusable.
    The outer cloth sleeve can be laundered or washed in hot soapy water and reused.
    The HEPA filter material inserted within the cloth sleeve must be discarded and replaced each time the mask is washed.

If done properly with a good nose bridge bar and a tight fit, a cloth mask with a true HEPA filter insert can replicate or exceed the performance of an N95.
    The key is making sure the insert is a true HEPA material, and making sure the mask fits snugly with no gaps for air to get around it.

The cloth masks that loop around the ears are often not tight enough for a total seal around the face.
    Cloth masks that tie around the head can be pulled tighter and allow for a much better snug fit with no air gaps.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Rotate through them. Lay them in the sun to dry and sterilize them.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    That's really the issue.
    N95's are disposable masks, always have been, it is not unusual for 2 guys to go through an entire box of 20 in a day when doing very dirty construction/renovation work.

N95's are not reusable under normal circumstances.
    There is a research hospital that has developed a way to fumigate contaminated N95 masks with hydrogen peroxide so they can be reused.
    But the process involves specialized equipment and cannot be replicated at home.

Truly effective cloth masks with a HEPA filter insert are only partly reusable.
    The outer cloth sleeve can be laundered or washed in hot soapy water and reused.
    The HEPA filter material inserted within the cloth sleeve must be discarded and replaced each time the mask is washed.

If done properly with a good nose bridge bar and a tight fit, a cloth mask with a true HEPA filter insert can replicate or exceed the performance of an N95.
    The key is making sure the insert is a true HEPA material, and making sure the mask fits snugly with no gaps for air to get around it.

The cloth masks that loop around the ears are often not tight enough for a total seal around the face.
    Cloth masks that tie around the head can be pulled tighter and allow for a much better snug fit with no air gaps.

As I asked Scruff... Effective at what?

At this point talking about mask "effectiveness" is pointless unless you specify WHAT you are talking about - protecting the wearer from contracting it, or preventing the wearer from spreading it.

You can't say "both" unless you are talking about preventing the wearer from contracting it.

You (not you specifically) need to SPECIFY what you are talking about because right or wrong, people reading are using this info as medical advice.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Rotate through them. Lay them in the sun to dry and sterilize them.
    Now that looks like an ideal that will work, now I just need to shave my face clean.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    As I asked Scruff... Effective at what?

At this point talking about mask "effectiveness" is pointless unless you specify WHAT you are talking about - protecting the wearer from contracting it, or preventing the wearer from spreading it.

You can't say "both" unless you are talking about preventing the wearer from contracting it.

You (not you specifically) need to SPECIFY what you are talking about because right or wrong, people reading are using this info as medical advice.
    Both. They're probably not very effective at either, but they're an improvement. If anyone disagrees with that, I'd ask them if they'd rather see people cough into open air instead of into their elbow. That's probably not very effective either, but it helps.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast