Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: how many fudd bought ar-15 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I thought that the difference between the two is the pressures contained within and that the dims are the same. Same as with .308/7.62x51.

https://ultimatereloader.com/2018/08...cts-and-myths/

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I thought that the difference between the two is the pressures contained within and that the dims are the same. Same as with .308/7.62x51.
    5.56 is higher pressure than .223. Conversely, .308 is higher pressure than 7.62 NATO. I believe there are also slight wall thickness and chamber dimension differences between .223 and 5.56, but don't quote me on that.

Generally, it's safe to shoot .223 in a 5.56 chambered gun, but not the reverse. I stock only .223 for that reason, since I have a bolt action rifle chambered specifically .223, but also a 5.56 AR.

(Chester County)

I'll have to change my reloading manual data too.

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Chester County)

OK, I'll play nice now. the only difference between the military designated ammo 5.56mmx45 and Remington .223 isn't enough to even make note about unless you are a bolt action target shooter. All 5.56x45 chambered AR-15 rifles will accept the .223 Remington ammo and in the case of my rifle vicey versey. The case volume on thicker military cases make little difference and only the cartridge overall length will make the difference if you are shooting a bolt action .223 Remington chambered rifle. I've been reloading this ammo for over 30 years and I use the Speer and Hornady reloading manuals. The AR-15 in the picture I posted shoots the 55gr M193 the most accurately because it's a 1:9 twist although the M855(SS109) isn't that bad in this particular gun. I have Winchester 62 grain soft point reloads that I haven't tried yet so maybe they'll be just as good who knows until I can get to the range. Over and out for now.

I just remembered a saying that I'm fond of by You Tube video star Paul Harrell, "There isn't enough difference to make a difference"
    Last edited by JenniferG; April 5th, 2020 at 10:38 AM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    5.56 is higher pressure than .223. Conversely, .308 is higher pressure than 7.62 NATO. I believe there are also slight wall thickness and chamber dimension differences between .223 and 5.56, but don't quote me on that.

Generally, it's safe to shoot .223 in a 5.56 chambered gun, but not the reverse. I stock only .223 for that reason, since I have a bolt action rifle chambered specifically .223, but also a 5.56 AR.
    I don't know where I got the idea but something made me think that the thicker wall created a smaller powder cavity, which in turn resulted in greater pressure. I confess to not knowing much about the process and I suppose it's possible that I have it backwards if it makes a difference at all. Just something I read and don't remember where.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

You mean if you shoot 5.56 in a .223 gun it won't explode on the first round, killing or maiming everyone within a 1 mile radius?

(Allegheny County)

I'm thinking a few went out looking for AR-14s

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    That's when you know to find a different shop.
    It's not my regular one, but it was close...and open (by appointment).

Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Chester County)

I'm waiting on my Trump check and I think I'll buy one of those Windham Weaponry AR-15 20" Government models. I sold my A2 HBar reluctantly a bunch of years back but now the Windham is an improvement with standard pins, better bolt carrier group and a tighter lock up between upper and lower. I really did have to use those little red plugs on my '88 or '89 Colt A2 HBAR because it was sloppy. It also had a 1:7 twist barrel and as I've mentioned before the 55gr ammo didn't shoot worth a crap out of it. My Colt A3 Tactical is tight as a drum on lock up and likes the 55gr stuff best all the pins are standard sized too.

Back in the 80's and 90's Colt had assorted different sized pins for military and civilian models here and there so you needed to be able to read dial calipers if you wanted to replace any pins. Everything was mail order too because there was no internet that was usable for anything but toying around by geeks. I used to get all the catalogs too, Gun Parts Corp, (Numrich Arms), Midway, Brownells, Cabelas Gander Mountain, Sportsman Guide and a few that were smaller companies that are long gone.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    I'm thinking a few went out looking for AR-14s
    In all 57 states...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast