Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Steamlight tlr-1 hl vs tlr-7

I'm new to purchasing lights for pistols. Streamlight gets good reviews.

The to tlr-7 seems like the better choice to me since it could find its way into a few different guns (Ruger sr9 or Glock 17 currently) and is small enough that it probably would fit onto virtually anything else I'm likely to buy.

Other than light output and size, is there any reason i shouldn't go with the tlr-7 over the tlr-1 hl? The cost looks about the same and the tlr-7 puts out 500 lumens which seems pretty bright for a single battery.

This won't be holstered. It is just a light for a bedside gun. Cost isn't a super big concern, but obviously i don't want to buy more light than i need nor cheap out on something i need to work should i actually need it.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Steamlight tlr-1 hl vs tlr-7

I have the TLR-7 on my Sig Legion P229 and I really like it. Fits nice.

But because it has just the one battery, it does get warm if you leave the light on long.

(Bucks County)

Thanks! I ended up buying the crimson trace light overrun from Midway. The price was too good to pass up for a name brand. I'll score a tlr-7 next time they are on sale.

-Zach

(Washington County)

I have two TLR1HL’s and both have been great for years of carry. You can find them on ebay or on sale for around $90 new sometimes. Holsters made to accommodate a gun with the TLR1HL are readily available. I have no experience with other streamlight models.

(Montgomery County)

I have spent time getting training and running a pistol mounted light in low light and with barricades. My conclusion is that medium lumen output is better than very high. For example, I would prefer 200-400 lumen output on a HD pistol. When working around a barricade, a lot of the light comes back to the user and in the dark that can add a bit of difficulty. Because of that I would go with the lower lumen tlr7... and way to go by the way... Streamlight is a Pennsylvania company and they are top notch!!!
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Chester County)

Have the tlr8 on my bedside gun. In an emergency the light will id the invader and laser will find the right spot even with drowsy eyes. Not cheap but got it for a great price a couple years ago.