Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Firearm law question

A friend of mine has a glock 19 built on a 80% lower and he want to sell it to me. At this time I am not kin on going to the dealers and wait for hours to get in and then probably been told that they don't do private transfers at this time. Since the gun does not have a serial number and it has not been register through a dealer can a private transaction be done just like with long guns?
    I don't want to get in trouble and I don't want him to get in trouble but he suggested that most likely it would be ok and he wont have a problem with it. We are also neighbors so there will not be travelling involved and that is really what it appeals to me at this time.
    What you guys think? I have no idea about this 80% guns. Also any problems that I should be looking for? I know he has been firing it at the range and he told me everything works as it should.
    Thanks for the help.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Firearm law question

No.

You can't even have it transferred as far as I'm aware without a serial number. The 80% kits are meant for personal use only.

-Zach

(Lehigh County)

Exclamation Re: Firearm law question

Quote Originally Posted by comsubin61 View Post
    A friend of mine has a glock 19 built on a 80% lower and he want to sell it to me. At this time I am not kin on going to the dealers and wait for hours to get in and then probably been told that they don't do private transfers at this time. Since the gun does not have a serial number and it has not been register through a dealer can a private transaction be done just like with long guns?
    I don't want to get in trouble and I don't want him to get in trouble but he suggested that most likely it would be ok and he wont have a problem with it. We are also neighbors so there will not be travelling involved and that is really what it appeals to me at this time.
    What you guys think? I have no idea about this 80% guns. Also any problems that I should be looking for? I know he has been firing it at the range and he told me everything works as it should.
    Thanks for the help.
    You let the cat out of the bag

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...qf9KXs2o6vOJ9R

(Montgomery County)

I though that it would not be allowed but what he said make sense. No serial number no tracking. Now that I know it is illegal I will wait for the right time to purchase the gun.( When the shops are fully opened again). However how would they track who purchased the lower and who made it into a functional gun?

Thank you guys.

(Berks County)

I though that it would not be allowed but what he said make sense. No serial number no tracking. Now that I know it is illegal I will wait for the right time to purchase the gun.( When the shops are fully opened again). However how would they track who purchased the lower and who made it into a functional gun?

Thank you guys.
    I don't think one can sell it...ever. I'd like to know what happens when its owner dies. And as to the bolded line above...because you just told everybody.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

But I don't have one. And the bold line would only apply to me if I did owned one. It is just a curiosity how would they be able to enforce it?

(Lehigh County)

Thank you guys.
    As I understand it, the gun will have to be marked with a maker and unique serial number in order to be transferred. (as a handgun thru a FFL) I do not know the specific requirements for these however. Good luck on working this out and let us know what you find out.
    Last edited by gghbi; March 30th, 2020 at 09:32 PM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Monroe County)

Thanks for the help.
    Good fucking question. humm. I don't have any wait but to find out if it is legal.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Allegheny County)

It's been a long time since this topic has been discussed, and I don't recall the exact details, but you CAN sell it - you aren't "stuck with it for life".

As already mentioned, I think it needs to have a number assigned/engraved - but I'm not certain of the specifics.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Monroe County)

OK he needs to mark it IAW ATF guidelines inc how deep the makings need to be - SN, maker name, city made. Then it can be transferred like any other handgun.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast