Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Optics recommendation

Since we're all sitting home trying to pass time, I'll throw this out there -

What do you recommend to scope a Sako Finnwolf?

Here's the back story....My family ran an auto repair business in Philly dating back to the 1920's. My dad would occasionally take items in trade in lieu of cash for repairs. Back in the 70's he brought home a Sako Finnwolf .308. It had a Bushnell 4X Scope Chief mounted and since I was the one with bad eyes, I claimed it for my hunting rifle. I dragged it through the woods for a few years (never shot anything) until one day, something in the action broke. Knowing it was somewhat exotic, my dad sent me to Jaegers in Jenkintown to have it repaired. They offered me something ridiculous (like $400) on the spot just for the magazine, as they had a Finnwolf hanging on the wall without a mag. Once I got the rifle back from being repaired, my dad did a little research on the the rifles value and immediately retired it to the gun rack. (he then bought me a Remington M700, which I have been hunting with ever since). Jump forward about 20 years and dad broke up his collection between my 2 brothers and myself. The Sako ended up with one of my brothers (who isn't a shooter). Dad passed away a year ago and I offered to buy the Sako from my brother. He said to just take it.

So......after 40 some years, the Finnwolf is back with me. It has the factory peep sight on it now and I'd like to put some good glass on it. I'm leaning towards Leupold, just because they are made in the US. Other than that, what do you folks recommend?

Default Re: Optics recommendation

Leupold is a great choice. I have one on my .308 and IMO you are leaning in the right direction.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Lycoming County)

How about a Zeiss. Might as well have a European optic on it.

(Bucks County)

Good idea......A European scope with a post reticle ......That would be sweet.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Good idea......A European scope with a post reticle ......That would be sweet.
    That does have merit......

(Montgomery County)

The optics question is based on what you want to do with it. If you are going to hunt with it, light, durable and low to medium magnification (2-10x) would work like a champ. If you want it to just look cool and somewhat original for the period, find a vintage scope from approximate time frame of the rifle production and make it look cool... Purpose drives gear, for me...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!