I was given this gun about 20 years ago by my uncle. It is an H&R “The American Double Action” .38 snub nose 5 shot revolver. It was given to him by his in-laws after they closed their bar down. I was told they got it from a retired Harrisburg city police officer in the early 1950’s. Back at a time when a force would get new guns and each officer could keep the old one. I’m guessing he sold it to them for protection in the bar.
Anyway, I did some research, I think this was a second model octagon barrel made between 1905 and 1941. I’m guessing by the S/N, 135556, it was made somewhere around the mid 1930’s?? It’s in decent shape, no pits, major damage, etc. there are some nicks on the barrel. It appears to be a bake-a-lite? grip but I’m not sure. I think there might be a piece missing on the right side, but I’m not 100% sure. I would like to know more about this, and the value. I’m moving out of state soon and cannot take it with me. I am a concealed carry holder in Pa, but not in Va where I’m moving.