Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Change the AR buffer spring or weight first?

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    Thank you John,
    forgot another important check, as you are closing the hinged upper/lower, make sure the rear of the bolt carrier contacts the buffer face and slightly retracts it in to the buffer tube as you close it maintaining contact. some out of spec lowers ( buffer retaining detent hole drilled too far rearward ) or carrier/buffer out of spec (Chinesium) can cause great issues and simulate over gassed symptoms if the bolt carrier has to travel rearward before contacting the buffer, the two should always be touching each other...no social distancing here !

Keep the thread going and let us know how you are doing
    Great! Thanks again SgtRecon. I will check the contact point as well. And keep you posted... as soon as the range opens up again!
    Last edited by John7367; April 1st, 2020 at 10:19 AM.

(York County)

Timely thread for me, I recently built two ARs, one a 10.5in pistol, and a 16in carbine setup with a heavy barrel, A2 buffer setup, but carbine gas (it was all I could scrape together at the time) that I would like to set up for some future 3 gun fun. The pistol is definitely going to need some gas system work, and I would like to tune the 3 gun rifle as best I can to get it shooting as flat as I can for follow up shots and such.

So I decided to do adjustable gas blocks for both of them because of the mix and match of things. It just seems like the better solution, infinitely adjustable, etc. No going to the range to try this buffer or that, just a turn of a setscrew on one range trip. For what a heavy buffer costs you could have a decent adj gas block, and for a little more you can have a very good one and never look back.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    Timely thread for me, I recently built two ARs, one a 10.5in pistol, and a 16in carbine setup with a heavy barrel, A2 buffer setup, but carbine gas (it was all I could scrape together at the time) that I would like to set up for some future 3 gun fun. The pistol is definitely going to need some gas system work, and I would like to tune the 3 gun rifle as best I can to get it shooting as flat as I can for follow up shots and such.

So I decided to do adjustable gas blocks for both of them because of the mix and match of things. It just seems like the better solution, infinitely adjustable, etc. No going to the range to try this buffer or that, just a turn of a setscrew on one range trip. For what a heavy buffer costs you could have a decent adj gas block, and for a little more you can have a very good one and never look back.

Thanks for the input YBNORMAL! I will look into an adjustable gas block. Research is something I've got plenty of time for right now. Thanks again!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234