Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Change the AR buffer spring or weight first?

Thank you ar15jules!

(Delaware County)

Much appreciated SgtRecon!!!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I'd try an H2 or H1 buffer, you have nothing to lose. You can also buy tungsten weights to make your own or multiple different heavier buffers (I.e. buy one H3 and you have a carbine buffer now you can make an H1 and an H2 for a different gun). Depending on what prices you can find this may be more economical.

I agree with trying to tame down over-gassed cycling. Sure it will work the other way, but for a $25 buffer why not tune it more appropriately.
    Thank you jthrelf! Exactly my line of thought. Certainly did my research... but I wanted to double check here, with those more experienced. Thanks again!

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: Change the AR buffer spring or weight first?

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Just to answer some of the questions: The barrel is a 1:8 twist and I'm generally loading 62gr. My biggest concern is excessive wear and damage. I'd rather spend $25-$45 in the buffer, now... and not have more costly replacements/repairs down the road, or have it give me trouble at "the wrong time". I will try playing with the weights between H and H3 to see if that solves the issue.

Again, I appreciate all the suggestions and comments.

2A... one amendment to protect them all!

(Allegheny County)

Buy a buffer - not the weights.
    That way, once you have it figured out, the extra buffer becomes a seed to grow another rifle!

You can't just have parts laying around doing nothing.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Buy a buffer - not the weights.
    That way, once you have it figured out, the extra buffer becomes a seed to grow another rifle!

You can't just have parts laying around doing nothing.

self control be damned....

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I'm neither a commie or a reloader because I always had limited time which I would rather spend shooting then reloading for it. That all being said American manufactures make it as well and it's been used in American military service in some very iconic weapons.
    Of course I said that “tongue in cheek” but since you were offended & make a case, allow me to retort. I have no problem with it and used to use it quite a bit when I first started building AK47’s 15 years ago. Yes, I am aware the US DID in fact use steel case ammo, most notably for the m1911 in 1942/1943. As for reloading, the argument of “time” is rather mute. Every single professional shooter reloads. And they are shooting quite a bit more than you or I, and still find the time to reload their own.

I always encourage reloading, as it gives a firearms enthusiast a drastic increase in knowledge & understanding. Like many others, I THOUGHT I knew quite a bit about firearms before I reloaded. Then I started reloading and quickly realized how wrong I had been....I really didn’t know that much. MANY out there have this same condition.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

A. I wasn’t offended as it takes a whole lot more then that.

B. Every professional shooter in every shooting discipline? Maybe in bullseye, long range, or high power but 3 gun or other run and gun I’m not buying it. Most shooters are sponsored by ammo companies to use their ammo. I bet most know how to reload but probably don’t for everything. I also bet a lot of professional shooters don’t work and commute 12-13 hours a day for a telecommunications company either.

C. While gaining knowledge of any discipline is great and can expand into other things it doesn’t mean if you don’t practice that discipline your at a disadvantage. I would consider Ian McCollum one of the most knowledgeable firearms technical historians we currently have in all matters firearms and guess what he doesn’t reload, number one reason is time, number 2 is federal and other manufacturers do a good enough job for him, I feel the same way. I’m also comfortable with my current knowledge on firearms and know a lot of reloaders who really aren’t that bright.

(Delaware County)

Ok.... Whatever works for ya.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by John7367 View Post
    Much appreciated SgtRecon!!!
    Thank you John,
    forgot another important check, as you are closing the hinged upper/lower, make sure the rear of the bolt carrier contacts the buffer face and slightly retracts it in to the buffer tube as you close it maintaining contact. some out of spec lowers ( buffer retaining detent hole drilled too far rearward ) or carrier/buffer out of spec (Chinesium) can cause great issues and simulate over gassed symptoms if the bolt carrier has to travel rearward before contacting the buffer, the two should always be touching each other...no social distancing here !

Keep the thread going and let us know how you are doing

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast