Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Stevens refinish.

So I did one for a customer and wanted one for myself. A while back a member here had one for a great price for the condition. I wanted it to need work and it did.
    It looks better in the pics then real life. It had a nice rust patina but there was bare spots. Also it had feed and ejection issues. No prob.

Ok I tore it down and broke out the Citristrip. Little work with a plastic brush made the wood nice. I buffed the metal with a Dremel and 50, 80 and 120 wheels.

Before

After

I used a light stain and clear poly with rubbing 0000 steel wool between coats.

I cold blued it. Came out nice with Brownells.

Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; March 25th, 2020 at 09:43 PM.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lehigh County)

Thumbs up Re: Stevens refinish.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    So I did one for a customer and wanted one for myself. A while back a member here had one for a great price for the condition. I wanted it to need work and it did.
    It looks better in the pics then real life. It had a nice rust patina but there was bare spots. Also it had feed and ejection issues. No prob.

Ok I tore it down and broke out the Citristrip. Little work with a plastic brush made the wood nice. I buffed the metal with a Dremel and 50, 80 and 120 wheels.

Before

After

I used a light stain and clear poly with rubbing 0000 steel wool between coats.

I cold blued it. Came out nice with Brownells.

Congrats looks great !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]130019[/img]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Stevens refinish.

Nice!

I did an old Western Field pump action for a friend several years back after his father passed away. I cut and re-crowned it to 18.5" from the 24 or 28" it was, drilled and tapped a new bead site, and found a new raw stock for it which was a PITA since it was once of those rebranded models for a hardware store. It was far from a perfect fit so I had a lot of fitting to do before I refinished the wood and getting it to match the original forend was fun. He wanted the metal to remain the same so no work there. I have pictures by they are printed photos, the others were on Photobucket but my account was locked.
    Last edited by Hodgie; March 25th, 2020 at 09:23 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Looks great! Love my Stevens rifles. I was born and raised the next town over and spent a lot of time in Chicopee Congrats!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Monroe County)

What gets me is it was a cheap gun then, still is now but the wood is so dense and great to work with on par with the best today. Along with the metal, it literally sat in a barn for a # of years but give it some love and it's good to go.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    What gets me is it was a cheap gun then, still is now but the wood is so dense and great to work with on par with the best today. Along with the metal, it literally sat in a barn for a # of years but give it some love and it's good to go.
    Yeah there is definitely no money in picking up and restoring older shotguns with the exception of the big names. From my research no one actuality knows the amount that were made between the early 1900’s and the 1960’s before serial numbers were required. Small independent hardware stores To giant national retailers like Sears would contact a manufacturer place an order have their own name put in it with no other markings and once they shipped they were untraceable. So many exist that in most cases they are deemed financially worthless regardless of condition.

I was able to find my restoration pictures yesterday. I don’t want to post them up in your thread unless your cool with it. Won’t be an issue to start my own refinish thread if I feel like it.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Yeah there is definitely no money in picking up and restoring older shotguns with the exception of the big names. From my research no one actuality knows the amount that were made between the early 1900’s and the 1960’s before serial numbers were required. Small independent hardware stores To giant national retailers like Sears would contact a manufacturer place an order have their own name put in it with no other markings and once they shipped they were untraceable. So many exist that in most cases they are deemed financially worthless regardless of condition.

I was able to find my restoration pictures yesterday. I don’t want to post them up in your thread unless your cool with it. Won’t be an issue to start my own refinish thread if I feel like it.
    Bring it.

But yea you spend more then the value if you brought this to me to have me do it for you. Mostly in time. I tracked this as a sample if I would take this as a paid job and I had at least 6 hrs. of hands on time. About $50-$70 of materials.
    I'd be nice and flat fee but it would be still over $150.

Here's the 1950ish Western Field I did for my buddy.

(Lehigh County)

Nice refinishing job there Hodgie!
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Monroe County)

Looking good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast