Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Selling a AR15 rifle build

I’m looking into selling my AR15 rifle build from a stripped Anderson multi caliber lower. The gun is rifle right now with a 16” upper. I know I can sell rifles in PA face to face to a PA resident, but is it legal to sell this gun on the federal and state level with no background check? I would just use a FFL but they are all shut down and I’m not looking to have the ATF knocking on my door one day years from now. Any help is appreciated, especially if you are a FFL, thanks in advance

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Selling a AR15 rifle build

That is why a lot of sellers require a valid ltcf. It proves to them that you are eligible. A detailed bill of sale (which can be found in the classified section) also helps cover your butt.

So long as they don't put a pistol upper on it and both the seller and buyer are legal residents of pa, it is legal.

-Zach

Edit - i hope i understood the question correctly.
    Last edited by zachomega; March 22nd, 2020 at 02:08 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    That is why a lot of sellers require a valid ltcf. It proves to them that you are eligible. A detailed bill of sale (which can be found in the classified section) also helps cover your butt.

So long as they don't put a pistol upper on it and both the seller and buyer are legal residents of pa, it is legal.

-Zach

Edit - i hope i understood the question correctly.
    Now what happens if they put a pistol upper on it? Can it fall back on me?

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by miked30-06 View Post
    I would at least take a photo before the sale and have the buyer sign and date it .

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by miked30-06 View Post
    Sounds like they are breaking the law after it was legally transferred to them. Not your problem.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Here's a question to go along with that. My friend was supposed to inherit a few guns but it got botched and now he's kind of freaking because he has no means of self defense. My question is can I sell him a shot gun? He has his LTCF so he is legit. What is the protocol? Simply sell it and exchange cash of is there official paperwork?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    Here's a question to go along with that. My friend was supposed to inherit a few guns but it got botched and now he's kind of freaking because he has no means of self defense. My question is can I sell him a shot gun? He has his LTCF so he is legit. What is the protocol? Simply sell it and exchange cash of is there official paperwork?
    Ltcf but no gun of his own? Holy rarity.

As i understand it, the bill of sale is a formality. You can sell privately without it. Again, that is why many ask to see a valid ltcf and/or license.

-Zach

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    There is no paperwork you have to do. You could write up a bill of sale.

Example:

1 Remington shotgun, as is. 200 dollars.

If you want something fancier for a bill of sale there is this helpful link in the classified section.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=3241
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Ltcf but no gun of his own? Holy rarity.

As i understand it, the bill of sale is a formality. You can sell privately without it. Again, that is why many ask to see a valid ltcf and/or license.

-Zach
    He got the LTCF with the intention to carry when he got the guns. Okay, then I can simply exchange cash and that's it..

(Montgomery County)

There is no federal requirement to privately transfer a firearm (handgun or long gun) intrastate besides having no reason to believe the purchaser is prohibited or a resident of another state. There is no Pennsylvania requirement to privately transfer a long gun besides having no reason to believe the purchaser is prohibited or a resident of another state. In an ideal world, if you follow that - everything afterwards is the buyer getting in trouble, not you. If the ATF or PSP come and knock on your door in two years all you have to say is "I sold it legally, beyond that I'm not answering any questions".

Additional things like checking a LTCF or write a bill of sale are not requirements, but to satisfy your level of comfort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast