Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Those of us who still have to work

I work for a national security company, and as such, am (at the moment) considered essential personnel. For at least the immediate future, I am still commuting 35 miles round trip daily.

I’ve begun to keep a get home/get out of dodge bag as well as a rifle case in my suv during the workday and unloading when at home. Anyone else doing this? I have a friend about 50 miles away with a large farm and that would be my shtf location. Trying to keep as much of my gear on hand in case it’s near impossible to get home.

I’m worried about what forces may be in place in the near future setting up checkpoints to “check my papers” to and from work. Basically I’ll have to show my essential personnel badge and whatever other ID they want to see. Also worried about possibly getting jammed up with my emergency supplies. Goes without saying that I have a PA LTCF and all rifles would be stored legally.

I guess my point is “what would you do in the situation”. Just looking for some helpful dialogue. Am I going overboard?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Those of us who still have to work

I think everyone is going to have a different idea in their head about what could get bad if the SHTF and things will vary greatly by location.

In my head, I can mostly just envision people going around breaking into cars and homes to steal things they want and need. I don't foresee myself needing to have a shootout with government storm troopers while out driving, but there's always a chance that someone who wants your vehicle could need to be dissuaded at the barrel of a gun.

My own drive to Walmart for my second job is 12 miles one way and I don't drive through any sketchy areas - half of it is highway travel.
    The potential "trouble" is likely going to be at either destination - at work, or at home.

With what's going on, keeping the rifle in the vehicle could become a problem if stopped - legal or not - so I can understand your concern.
    Not really sure what to say on that other than to say that you have no obligation to disclose that you have a rifle in the vehicle.

Keeping some supplies on board certainly isn't going to hurt.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Video game gone live is how I'll react.

(Northampton County)

I am considered " essential personnel" as well.
    I am worried more about bring home the shit that will make my family sick, from having to work for people that think, "wipe it down with alcohol" is the fix all, while they sit at home , on their computers , safe with their family. Like wiping shit down with alcohol that was not designed to be wiped down with alcohol is the do all cure.
    It only took 5 days and a heated discussion for the brass to finally agree the employee health and safety means more than extra wear on fucking forklift batteries.
    My employee health and safety dept. has a knee kick approach, " uhh, well, maybe if you use toilet seat wipes, uhh, that might work , I think the janitor staff has them but you would have to check"
    Jesus H Christ, the mentality of corporate America is fucking frightening. I hear responses like, its the first time we have ever dealt with this, and the situation is very fluid at the moment.
    I respectfully requested hazard pay, they thought I was joking, I am not, I have heard rumors of others saying that their going to call in and say they may have been in contact with a person that might have the virus, yada, yada, yada and need 4 weeks unpaid time so they can go on unemployment, be safe at home with family, and come back when this shit is mostly over. the brass said, is that what your going to do????? I said, ask me again in a few days its the first time I have ever dealt with this, and the situation is very fluid at the moment.
    75/15/10

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I think everyone is going to have a different idea in their head about what could get bad if the SHTF and things will vary greatly by location.

In my head, I can mostly just envision people going around breaking into cars and homes to steal things they want and need. I don't foresee myself needing to have a shootout with government storm troopers while out driving, but there's always a chance that someone who wants your vehicle could need to be dissuaded at the barrel of a gun.

My own drive to Walmart for my second job is 12 miles one way and I don't drive through any sketchy areas - half of it is highway travel.
    The potential "trouble" is likely going to be at either destination - at work, or at home.

With what's going on, keeping the rifle in the vehicle could become a problem if stopped - legal or not - so I can understand your concern.
    Not really sure what to say on that other than to say that you have no obligation to disclose that you have a rifle in the vehicle.

Keeping some supplies on board certainly isn't going to hurt.
    This is my opinion, and anyone correct me if it is legally incorrect, but I think an actual declaration of martial law would be required to institute checkpoints for the purpose of finding out if people have an approved reason to be out and about, as opposed to a checkpoint for a defined purpose such as DUI or seatbelt compliance. If martial law is declared, and such checkpoints are established, or vehicle stops implemented, I doubt there would be any restrictions on searching a vehicle without consent (there aren't really any now that can be enforced at roadside).
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Northampton County)

"I guess my point is “what would you do in the situation”. "

This is why some very intelligent people buy and sell AR and AK pistols, with the "brace" making the option even more desirable.
    IMHO
    75/15/10

We got a letter from HQ that said that we are life sciences pharmaceutical critically essential employees and if we were questioned by officials while commuting, we were to present this letter to them. I would rather be working than those poor people who are waiting for that g note to keep paying the bills..

(Chester County)

+1 AR pistol

(Allegheny County)

This is when that $99 Combat Armory 7" upper mated to a $129 PSA lower comes in handy.
    When they confiscate it, at least you aren't out that much money.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Roland45 View Post
    I am considered " essential personnel" as well.
    I am worried more about bring home the shit that will make my family sick, from having to work for people that think, "wipe it down with alcohol" is the fix all, while they sit at home , on their computers , safe with their family. Like wiping shit down with alcohol that was not designed to be wiped down with alcohol is the do all cure.
    It only took 5 days and a heated discussion for the brass to finally agree the employee health and safety means more than extra wear on fucking forklift batteries.
    My employee health and safety dept. has a knee kick approach, " uhh, well, maybe if you use toilet seat wipes, uhh, that might work , I think the janitor staff has them but you would have to check"
    Jesus H Christ, the mentality of corporate America is fucking frightening. I hear responses like, its the first time we have ever dealt with this, and the situation is very fluid at the moment.
    I respectfully requested hazard pay, they thought I was joking, I am not, I have heard rumors of others saying that their going to call in and say they may have been in contact with a person that might have the virus, yada, yada, yada and need 4 weeks unpaid time so they can go on unemployment, be safe at home with family, and come back when this shit is mostly over. the brass said, is that what your going to do????? I said, ask me again in a few days its the first time I have ever dealt with this, and the situation is very fluid at the moment.
    They have started spraying Carts and wiping down surfaces with Hepastat 256 at work today.
    62,100 resultsAny time

Image: staples.com
    Hepastat 256 is an effective fungicide against Trichophyton mentagrophytes (the athlete’s foot fungus) in areas such as locker rooms, dressing rooms, shower and bath areas and exercise facilities. Hepastat 256 is a one-step fungicide at ½ oz. per gallon in 200 ppm hard water and 5% serum.
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast