Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Baofeng UV5army

(Berks County)

Default Re: Baofeng UV5army

Quote Originally Posted by Bug44 View Post
    Chirp is goofy on my comp but I figured it out... I can't save any files however I can program the radios. So what I do is when I get a new uv-5r I clone the frequencies off one radio and upload them in the new one... I can add new frequencies at this time. I can also name them. So if you already have one UV5R. Make that your master radio with the desired frequencies. Clone that radio with chirp. Add any new frequencies to the list and make the new radio the master radio that you then clone from.

I also have a few whip antenna on a couple of radios. It def helps with picking up signal. I also have one extra large battery on one. I have a cigarette charger charging stand so if the grid drops out I can charge in a car. And I have a small solar battery bank with usb capabilities. I bought a USB cord that plugs into the charging stand for the radios. So I have multiple ways to charge the radios...

I have my tech license but 99% of the time I just listen to the county dispatch or the closest repeater. I hardly ever talk on it. It's mostly 3-4 guy that talk on the repeaters and all they talk about is cutting grass and the weather... So I don't chime in on those riveting conversations...
    I don't understand not being able to save the file, I never encountered that on anything, ever. Save it as an image (don't ask me why, my mentor showed me that) and save it a second time somewhere else. When I upgraded the CHIRP software it deleted my file and I had to re-copy it off of my radio.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I don't understand not being able to save the file, I never encountered that on anything, ever. Save it as an image (don't ask me why, my mentor showed me that) and save it a second time somewhere else. When I upgraded the CHIRP software it deleted my file and I had to re-copy it off of my radio.
    Who knows why it won't let me save the file. It acts like it saves it. But I can't find the file anywhere. It's the oddest thing... However like I said b4, I keep a master clone radio and that process works fine. Just takes a few min longer. And as long I don't have to hand jam the frequencies into the radio myself I am happy. Programming without chirp is mind numbing and tedious!
    ΑΣΦ

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bug44 View Post
    Who knows why it won't let me save the file. It acts like it saves it. But I can't find the file anywhere. It's the oddest thing... However like I said b4, I keep a master clone radio and that process works fine. Just takes a few min longer. And as long I don't have to hand jam the frequencies into the radio myself I am happy. Programming without chirp is mind numbing and tedious!
    AAaaaaa, ok. Open your CHIRP software then file/recent and it should show up there, the top one should be the last one you had open. The program does tuck them away somewhere where you can't find them.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    AAaaaaa, ok. Open your CHIRP software then file/recent and it should show up there, the top one should be the last one you had open. The program does tuck them away somewhere where you can't find them.
    i believe by default it wants to save them in "program files (x86)" in the chirp program folder.
    that, in my memory, is restricted on most systems to arbitrary access (hence suggesting running as admin). so you might want to choose "save as" and then pick a directory like Documents or Desktop or even Downloads or however you organize your computer.

in file explorer you can also use the search, hell on win10 you could even probably use the search box next to the start menu and look for your filename. it is probably baofeng something or other. likely your computer wont find many files named baofeng and even less that end with .img

hope it helps, worst case there is always desktop sharing with teamviewer or similar. even my mom could figure out how to use their web version. saves me traveling to NJ to work on computer.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA86 View Post
    No such luck... I'll try on a non MAC computer and see if its any better.

Are after market antennas worth getting?

I realize a little HT like a UV5R will never have the capability of more powerful base station transceiver, but is upgrading the OEM antenna to something better something that can really let me get the most bang for buck with what I've got?

Also, anyone have any good youtube videos or other sources for simple methods for backup power?

I got a little solar powered USB charger and a USB charging cable, which gives some off grid charging capability, but I'm looking to do something with a little more oomph, like a 12v car battery.
    Concerning the Antenna, the Stock "Rubber ducks" are for the most part crap, you'll get big bang for the buck with any high gain, I listed the three I prefer earlier in this thread.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Concerning the Antenna, the Stock "Rubber ducks" are for the most part crap, you'll get big bang for the buck with any high gain, I listed the three I prefer earlier in this thread.
    Oh, missed that. Thanks.

Any experience with the Nagoya 771? I'm between that and the ABBREE 18".

(Lebanon County)

Oh, missed that. Thanks.

Any experience with the Nagoya 771? I'm between that and the ABBREE 18".
    I have, it's pretty good, much better than the stock, but there are a lot of knockoffs. so unless it's authentic I tend to shy from them. The authentic ones are a little better than the MFJs IMHO.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks, just bought one from Amazon, will check its authenticity.

Any issue with picking up Baofengs off ebay?

I know its a Chinese radio already, but I understand there are other, potentially even worse made clones? They're a couple bucks cheaper on Ebay than Amazon but not sure if worth the risk.

I know its a Chinese radio already, but I understand there are other, potentially even worse made clones? They're a couple bucks cheaper on Ebay than Amazon but not sure if worth the risk.
    mine was from fleabay. find a well rated seller and ensure the item meets the specs you are looking for.
    worst case you get a non functional cable and or a radio without commercial FM radio freqs. ...which i recall is a different model anyway. buy at random and you might spend $25 on a baofeng radio box. (yes just the box, read listings when buying) it's happened to game console buyers... $600 picture of console, $300 box.
    if you can, try to find a seller on this side of the water as well. probably wont be getting any chingchao direct for a long while.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Lebanon County)

There are several models that have been banned by the FCC that may still be in the system. Now that you've cut your teeth on the Baofeng, I would recommend getting a better quality radio for your primary, the Baofengs are great backups but I wouldn't trust my communications solely on them. Unfortunately you're still talking 100-200 for a quality analog handheld, (I recommend a Yaesu FT-60 for most people) those things are dependable durable and near bullet proof. Multiple Central PA SAR teams use these as their recommended team radio. Baofeng is notorious on their Q&A as well, you can by two radios from the same vendor, one works, one don't. As I've said before, our radio club provides at cost Baofengs pre-programmed for 80+ Central PA Repeaters to anyone testing with us, Generally ordering 10 at a time, when one comes DOA, they issue a refund an don't ask us to return the product. Some of them are really great and work well and last for several years, others don't. So it's your choice the path you take, I can only advise.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast