Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Baofeng UV5army

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Baofeng UV5army

Quote Originally Posted by PA86 View Post
    Is there a way to disable transmit on specific frequencies by manually programming the transceiver?

Tried downloading Chirp on my mac, but it crashes immediately upon opening. Downloaded the python thing too, no avail. Not much of a techie here.

It seems I can't name channels either, sans chirp, via the handheld, which would be nice.
    I agree, with FallenLeader, Try an older version, see if that helps.

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects.../wiki/Download
    OS X support is limited to Intel architecture. PowerPC is not supported.
    Chirp.app is unsigned. With default security settings, you will need a special procedure to run it: Application Security in 10.9.
    https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects...curity-in-109x
    https://trac.chirp.danplanet.com/chirp_daily/MacOS/
    MacOS users should use the packages that end in .app.zip located in the
    daily directories with the other builds. Unzip it after downloading and then
    simply double-click on the .app to run it.

Note that you MUST install the runtime package located in this directory
    before the .app will run.
    https://trac.chirp.danplanet.com/chirp_daily/

i don't know if this helps but at the least there is the links to daily's and it says to download the app.zip files from your chosen daily. i don't mac. hell, i used to only windows for games problematic in wine. now linux is problematic in pcie on my new hardware and unstable.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Montgomery County)

No luck with chirp... quite maddening. I successfully programmed channels manually, just annoyed that I can't name them.

Anyone have recommendations for a USB charging cable? Got a little solar powered battery bank I'd like to be able to charge the radio with as a backup.

Also interested in other, preferably simple, methods to charge the radio without grid power.

(Lebanon County)

No luck with chirp... quite maddening. I successfully programmed channels manually, just annoyed that I can't name them.

Anyone have recommendations for a USB charging cable? Got a little solar powered battery bank I'd like to be able to charge the radio with as a backup.

Also interested in other, preferably simple, methods to charge the radio without grid power.
    have you been able to read and write to the radio from within chirp? if so it may be a display setting that is set to display freq instead of name.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    have you been able to read and write to the radio from within chirp? if so it may be a display setting that is set to display freq instead of name.
    I haven't been able to get Chirp to even run on my computer.

(Lebanon County)

I haven't been able to get Chirp to even run on my computer.
    This page may help you with that http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_CHIRP.php/

(Montgomery County)

No such luck... I'll try on a non MAC computer and see if its any better.

Are after market antennas worth getting?

I realize a little HT like a UV5R will never have the capability of more powerful base station transceiver, but is upgrading the OEM antenna to something better something that can really let me get the most bang for buck with what I've got?

Also, anyone have any good youtube videos or other sources for simple methods for backup power?

I got a little solar powered USB charger and a USB charging cable, which gives some off grid charging capability, but I'm looking to do something with a little more oomph, like a 12v car battery.

Chirp is goofy on my comp but I figured it out... I can't save any files however I can program the radios. So what I do is when I get a new uv-5r I clone the frequencies off one radio and upload them in the new one... I can add new frequencies at this time. I can also name them. So if you already have one UV5R. Make that your master radio with the desired frequencies. Clone that radio with chirp. Add any new frequencies to the list and make the new radio the master radio that you then clone from.

I also have a few whip antenna on a couple of radios. It def helps with picking up signal. I also have one extra large battery on one. I have a cigarette charger charging stand so if the grid drops out I can charge in a car. And I have a small solar battery bank with usb capabilities. I bought a USB cord that plugs into the charging stand for the radios. So I have multiple ways to charge the radios...

I have my tech license but 99% of the time I just listen to the county dispatch or the closest repeater. I hardly ever talk on it. It's mostly 3-4 guy that talk on the repeaters and all they talk about is cutting grass and the weather... So I don't chime in on those riveting conversations...
    ΑΣΦ

(Montgomery County)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DX1DX4/

This works great for me, it is for a UV5. Other models have a slightly different cradle.
    I've charged mine directly from a solar panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bug44 View Post
    Chirp is goofy on my comp but I figured it out... I can't save any files however I can program the radios. So what I do is when I get a new uv-5r I clone the frequencies off one radio and upload them in the new one... I can add new frequencies at this time. I can also name them. So if you already have one UV5R. Make that your master radio with the desired frequencies. Clone that radio with chirp. Add any new frequencies to the list and make the new radio the master radio that you then clone from.

I also have a few whip antenna on a couple of radios. It def helps with picking up signal. I also have one extra large battery on one. I have a cigarette charger charging stand so if the grid drops out I can charge in a car. And I have a small solar battery bank with usb capabilities. I bought a USB cord that plugs into the charging stand for the radios. So I have multiple ways to charge the radios...

I have my tech license but 99% of the time I just listen to the county dispatch or the closest repeater. I hardly ever talk on it. It's mostly 3-4 guy that talk on the repeaters and all they talk about is cutting grass and the weather... So I don't chime in on those riveting conversations...
    right click, "run as administrator" and see if that is why you can't save, maybe it has to do with permissions based on where you installed it.
    hop on there one day and just mention that you find 9mm is vastly superior to .40 and see if that sparks a "riveting" conversation.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast