Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
_^^^. This. My wife hates debt. Pay off your CC’s as best you can, save that credit for when you need it. Get ahead o your home (or buy on) so you can borrow against it if needed. Drive your car a few extra years, buy them used... There are all kinds of strategies and we’ve all heard them before. The trick is find one that works for you and stick to it.

For some this may be a wake up call, to others it may be old hat. Either way, I hope we all make it through these downturns.
The only thing I can add is NEVER have any credit card debt. Don't fall into that trap, they will screw you for 20+% of your money. If you don't have the cash to pay something off in full at the end of the month don't be buying it. You will never get ahead in life if you have credit card debt. Imagine if you could put that 20+ percent of the money you piss away into savings. Would you take a 20% pay cut (after taxes)?

Of course I don't mean this if you are recently unemployed, your car breaks down, or your kids are starving. Bad things happen. But I know too many people with steady jobs that need that new 55 inch TV.