Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Sig handgun fan's I need your help.

I am trying to help a family member find a good IWB and OWB holster for a Sig 229R (railed) in .40 cal. Anyone know if the dimensions are any different between the 229 .40 and the 9mm version of this pistol or the 9mm combat? My go to holster maker lists several 229 options all are listed in 9mm.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Hodgie; March 20th, 2020 at 12:32 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Sig handgun fan's I need your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I am trying to help a family member find a good IWB and OWB holster for a Sig 229R (railed) in .40 cal. Anyone know if the dimensions are any different between the 229 .40 and the 9mm version of this pistol or the 9mm combat? My go to holster maker lists several 229 options all are listed in 9mm.

Thanks!
    I've got a 229 without a rail that was originally .40. I switched it to 9mm by changing the barrel, the recoil spring and the magazine. No other changes. It shoots like a dream.

I don't expect you'll have any issue with the railed versions being different between the two calibers either.

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    I've got a 229 without a rail that was originally .40. I switched it to 9mm by changing the barrel, the recoil spring and the magazine. No other changes. It shoots like a dream.

I don't expect you'll have any issue with the railed versions being different between the two calibers either.
    Thank you that helps a lot.

It actually looks like there is a difference between the 229 in 40 and the 9mm in the trigger guard area which is why holsters are not interchangeable. I am sure some kydex ones could be heated and reshaped. It appears that sig was going to standardize on frames sometime after 2010 but I am not sure if they ever did.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=395523

(Montgomery County)

Could always go with the Safariland 578 pro-fit 750 model. Will also fit quite a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Could always go with the Safariland 578 pro-fit 750 model. Will also fit quite a few others.
    That friend of mine ended up with the 7378 ALS.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post

Thanks!
    I'd ask the specific holster maker about this.. My understanding was that older 9mm had a forged slide while 40 & 357 had milled slides.

Quote Originally Posted by Red. View Post
    I'd ask the specific holster maker about this.. My understanding was that older 9mm had a forged slide while 40 & 357 had milled slides.
    Just an FYI: P228's were 9mm with fabricated carbon steel slides with a pinned in breech block("folded slides" in Sig parlance). The 229 slide, AFAIK, have always been monolithic stainless steel (finished in black) with integral breech blocks. The model number change to 229 and the monolithic slides were so the gun could be chambered in .40 S&W and .357 Sig - which were a bit too intense for the folded slides of the 228's.

I have an early, non-railed P229 in .357 Sig and it has a round trigger guard. The railed P229's that I have seen have the square trigger guard with the "hook".

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

As stated earlier in the thread, Sig did transition over to a single frame size for the 9/40/357 in the 229 line. 2010 to current should all have the same frame(assuming standard railed model). If your friend has the factory case for the pistol it should have a production year on its label.