Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Steel Valley .45 Cal SWC

Ron doesn't catalog the 185 gr. .45 caliber SWCs that just arrived today! But he has hte dies and did me a solid for a case order. I'm really glad my letter carrier is a big ole country boy! That box was heavy!

So here's some quality assurance info. The bullets appear great! I especially like the "ramp" between the "cone" and the shoulder that makes them usable in revolver with speed loader or moonclips. I chose 10 bullets at random and checked them for weight and diameter.

Average weight was 179.42 grins. A tad less than the nominal 185 grs BUT perfect for use with either A#2 or CFE-P powders and capable of hitting high enough velocity to meet the old IDPA 165,000 power factor. Loaded down to a velocity in mid 700 fps range they'd be great for a bullseye load for the shooter wanting lighter felt recoil.

The same 10 Bullets were checked for diameter all came out with a perfect 0.452" using my equipment.

Outstanding work!

The only "issue": none of the small boxes used to package the bullets survived the USPS handling, all were broken to one degree or other. Maybe marking the shipping box "fragile throw underhand" would help :-)! Just kidding. Reinforcing the edges of the smaller boxes with package tape would make them more survivable.

Overall very happy with the bullets!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Steel Valley .45 Cal SWC

Thanks again Brick.

This was my response for all to see.

Glad you got them. Ya its hit and miss with letter carriers and the heavy boxes. Most survive the trip unharmed. Others start at the top of the stack and make their way to the bottom no matter what. Some days I feel bad for everyone else's mail.*

Those bullets kinda always casted light with my alloy. Plus with no wax lube they lose an extra grain or two. But lighter is always better than heavier when approaching max loads. If I wanted to make them a bit heavier I could add more raw lead but that would take away from the hardness and ruin my certified alloy. So they go as the go. I'd rather see consistancy then perfect cast weight.*

Feel free to post away. I've always said I take any reviews good or bad. Also feel free to post my reply.*

Thanks again,

Ron
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Allegheny County)

Ron makes some good stuff.

(Beaver County)

Thanks Duke. I try. Sometimes I fail but most of the time I'm on point.

BTW we took are first, First Place win of the year. One of my sponsored shooters placed First in IDPA CDP Expert at the Gulf Coast National event in Texas last weekend. He also received a match bump to Distinguished Master. He placed 2nd overall in CDP for the event.

CDP is 1911 45acp class for all you non IDPA folk.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.