Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lycoming County)

Default Re: Storing/Curing Meat

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Meat is a low acid food, so if you’re canning it has to be pressure canned.

Canned meat keeps as long as any other canned good, that is, longer then you’ll be alive. To preserve micronutrients, keep out of sunlight/heat.

I’m over in rauchtown (outside Jersey Shore) is you would like to practice pressure canning.
    Thanks for the offer, I’m just over the mountain from you! I’ll do a bit of research on this over the weekend and I might give you a shout. Thanks again.

(Wayne County)

Another vote for pressure canning. That is the wife's domain. I do the dehydrating. Canning has a much longer shelf life.
    Small hand made batches of beef jerky...Mountain Meats and More on Face Book

I can tell you from experience that a full chest freezer (packed full with little head room) will easily keep your meat frozen for at least a week without opening it. The stuff on top may be lost or just thawed and still cold depending. With that knowledge and a small generator (easy on gas) to run only the freezer periodically you can keep that meat a long time with careful monitoring and 20 or 30 gallons of gas.
    That extra time will give you plenty of opportunity to plan your next move. My plan is to dehydrate, smoke and can everything during a week or two if I get that nervous during a prolonged SHTF scenario.
    How much of whatever method used would depend on the season. Going into spring and summer like now I would can most of it. I have plenty of jars and lids to accomplish the task provided my canner holds up. Canning meat is actually very simple with a pressure canner. If you can find the supplies I recommend you do it now. What better time to practice?

(Bucks County)

I finally bought a pressure canner last week and canned up 12 pints of beef stew. Was pretty easy to do and planning to can a lot of stuff from our garden this summer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12