Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Get back home bag

Speaking of pack covers...

I had seen some military surplus covers, but I kept thinking "won't water just run off/go behind them and get my bask and the pack contents wet?"

Apparently so.

This is something that is ignored by 99.999% of every "bug out/get home bag" YouTuber.
    I'll occasionally see mention of putting some things in a zip lock baggie, but that's about it.
    Maybe because most of this is based on "fantasy" vs ALL of the HIKING/BACKPACKING/CAMPING vids that always make mention of using dry bags, or trash bags as liners inside of packs to keep things dry.

Reality based content vs "when the SHTF, I'll be ready" content?

Anyway, I grabbed a poncho on clearance to wear over me AND the pack if rain is an issue.
    Eventually, I'll get a lighter weight poncho, but "great price" wins out over "things I would rather have" at the moment.

On that topic, this shit gets heavy FAST once you start adding things to the pack!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

Years ago when I did actual backpacking, our first trip was 85 miles in 8 days. It rained for the first 4 days. We used a simple garbage bag draped over the backpack to keep it from getting soaked. Yes, rain ran down into your back, but we were hiking without ponchos and just let the rain cool us down. An oversized poncho isn't a bad idea, if it can cover you and your bag. Hiking in a plastic poncho sucks ass. My pack never got too wet inside, everything else was sealed up
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Years ago when I did actual backpacking, our first trip was 85 miles in 8 days. It rained for the first 4 days. We used a simple garbage bag draped over the backpack to keep it from getting soaked. Yes, rain ran down into your back, but we were hiking without ponchos and just let the rain cool us down. An oversized poncho isn't a bad idea, if it can cover you and your bag. Hiking in a plastic poncho sucks ass. My pack never got too wet inside, everything else was sealed up
    Never a bad idea to keep an oversized heavy poncho. Works well in a pinch as ground cover and emergency shelter too.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    Never a bad idea to keep an oversized heavy poncho. Works well in a pinch as ground cover and emergency shelter too.
    ...and wrapping the body in.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    I've been watching "emergency shelter" vids on YouTube looking for pointers.

One thing I learned is that I'm not relying on a poncho for shelter. I'll pack a tarp. LOL
    Doesn't even need to be one of those fancy ultralight nylon tarps made for such purposes - a cheapo Harbor Freight tarp will do.
    I have a 4'x7' "emergency blanket/shelter" and I've seen them all showing off how they set them up. Not many do it in the RAIN though.
    Yeah, I want something a little bigger to stay dry.

Not that a poncho doesn't make for a good shelter in a pinch if that's all you have, but I'll pack something else for a shelter.

I snagged three clearanced "tarp kits" at Walmart marked down from $14 to $5 - a 6'x8' tarp and a handful of bungee cords.
    Ends up costing a few dollars less than comparable tarp/bungees from HF.
    I'm going to try setting something up with the 6x8 tarp in my back yard to determine if I can make it work. I still think that's a little too small, but folded up, it's pretty small and light.

If not, I'll go up a size with a Harbor Freight tarp. I always need tarps for hauling leaves and such, so it won't hurt to buy them and decide I want to get something else.

(Allegheny County)

One common theme in YouTube "tarp shelter" vids is non-disclosure of the freaking SIZE of the tarp they are demonstrating.
    So frustrating.

(Allegheny County)

Its not perfect but works. Many many years ago when i was a boy scout doing wilderness survival badge i had a heavy hooded poncho that doubled as a tarp (outers brand iirc). Had the rings in the corners and all, and was near indestructible. Downside was its weight and size. It didnt roll well to pack and was warm as hell to actually wear.

Best thing it was good for was a ground cover. And done properly it could be pulled over a rolled out surplus down bag to serve as a shelter. That was the solution for survival shelter on our 2am night hike to nowhere for skill testing.

I’d really prefer a debris shelter, tipi, or lean to. Wiki-ups are my next challege. Ultimately, natural cave is the first choice if available

(Bucks County)

Your get home bag is way too big and way too heavy. You don*t need very much beyond what*s normally on your person to get home. I did a moderate amount of sere in the Army as a student and as opfor. The students that *made it* through the don*t get caught phase traveled as light as possible and hauled azz. The ones that tried to be all ninja stealthy with extra items were generally caught.

I*ve also busted a lot of bad ass bush as an infantry guy with tons of gear. Assistant m60 gunner was probably the worst. Carrying the spare barrel, tripod, T&E and at least 400 rounds for the pig. I found out pretty quick that wearing a poncho with a pack sucks. You get just as soaked from sweat as you would from the rain. You won*t need it for shelter because you*re going to be hauling ass for home.

You would be much better off with a discreet bag about the same size or less as the old school military butt pack. Throw in some water, a multi tool, maybe a couple magazines and a pack of lighters. If you really want to get fancy, a vacuum packed ifak and a couple drive on rags.

You won*t be in a firefight. If it comes to that, you*re chances are very slim. Your best shot is to haul ass and suck it up. I do have a very nice lightweight poncho that has extra material in the rear to drape over your rucksack. It works great if you’re moving slow or sitting in a fixed position on a recreational camping trip. It’s not in my get home bag.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    Your get home bag is way too big and way too heavy. You don*t need very much beyond what*s normally on your person to get home. I did a moderate amount of sere in the Army as a student and as opfor. The students that *made it* through the don*t get caught phase traveled as light as possible and hauled azz. The ones that tried to be all ninja stealthy with extra items were generally caught.

I*ve also busted a lot of bad ass bush as an infantry guy with tons of gear. Assistant m60 gunner was probably the worst. Carrying the spare barrel, tripod, T&E and at least 400 rounds for the pig. I found out pretty quick that wearing a poncho with a pack sucks. You get just as soaked from sweat as you would from the rain. You won*t need it for shelter because you*re going to be hauling ass for home.

You would be much better off with a discreet bag about the same size or less as the old school military butt pack. Throw in some water, a multi tool, maybe a couple magazines and a pack of lighters. If you really want to get fancy, a vacuum packed ifak and a couple drive on rags.

You won*t be in a firefight. If it comes to that, you*re chances are very slim. Your best shot is to haul ass and suck it up. I do have a very nice lightweight poncho that has extra material in the rear to drape over your rucksack. It works great if you*re moving slow or sitting in a fixed position on a recreational camping trip. It*s not in my get home bag.

All very valid points! Thanks for adding to the thread!

MY bag isn't a simple "get home" bag though - more of a general purpose "emergency bag" to be kept in the vehicle.
    I've always figured I could "unpack" unnecessary items if I head out on foot.
    No, it's not ideal for every person's mental image of what I should have/do, but it's how I'm doing it.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast