Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: Communications Preparations

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    Really thinking about adding one of these to my kit.

They can be found here.
    https://chameleonantenna.com/shop-he...m-iii-portable

Might just make one myself though.
    Good to have in any kit, better to know how to make so if you have to repair, that's less of a learning curve.

(Montgomery County)

Any recommendations for a simple to operate FRS radio, preferably one that is at least rain resistant?

I have no interest in learning about HAM or messing with any licenses, just want a simple to operate, essentially push to talk system that I can use to communicate with neighbors within a several block suburban area.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA86 View Post
    Any recommendations for a simple to operate FRS radio, preferably one that is at least rain resistant?

I have no interest in learning about HAM or messing with any licenses, just want a simple to operate, essentially push to talk system that I can use to communicate with neighbors within a several block suburban area.
    If you're not completely sold on FRS radios, look at MURS options. Still no license required, but more power available. I also think there are better quality radios available.

(Lebanon County)

Look to the Midway brand radios, available on line, sporting goods stores and even Walmart. they make some high quality and low quality, read the specifications there are some that are ruggedized and water resistant (you do pay more for them).

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the starting points... I'm so new I have just been looking at the wiki pages on FRS and MURS.

Do some of these radios have ONLY FRS or MURS channels? I do not want to worry about at all about transmitting without a license. I have noticed from reading reviews that some people are saying that some of these radios advertised as such can still go on frequencies requiring licensure.

(Berks County)

Thanks for the starting points... I'm so new I have just been looking at the wiki pages on FRS and MURS.

Do some of these radios have ONLY FRS or MURS channels? I do not want to worry about at all about transmitting without a license. I have noticed from reading reviews that some people are saying that some of these radios advertised as such can still go on frequencies requiring licensure.
    I have two models of radios. I have two Garmin Rino's, which operate on FRS and GMRS freqs and also have weather, gps and some mapping, more mapping can be purchased. The Rino's will transmit your coordinates to the other users so you can see where everyone else is. They are very expensive. I also have a Baofeng UV5R, which is a handheld that transmits on FRS, GMRS, MURS and some HAM freqs. They are cheap and through the CHIRP software you can program in the freqs you want to use and it would be tough for a user to transmit on a different freq than it's set up for. No license necessary.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by HRoark View Post
    If you're not completely sold on FRS radios, look at MURS options. Still no license required, but more power available. I also think there are better quality radios available.
    I really want the simplest, lowest common denominator radio at this point. I was looking at these thinking as I learned more I could upgrade in time.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-T100...622KSMAPE96BRN

(Clinton County)

Anyone here in this thread have the ability to program a Motorola Radius CP200 4 channel HT by chance? Found 2 of them digging around in some old stuff in a shed someone had rented and wanted to get these up and running. Not sure if they're UHF or VHF, no charger or any other info about them.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    Anyone here in this thread have the ability to program a Motorola Radius CP200 4 channel HT by chance? Found 2 of them digging around in some old stuff in a shed someone had rented and wanted to get these up and running. Not sure if they're UHF or VHF, no charger or any other info about them.
    Don't be so lazy.

https://www.motorolasolutions.com/co..._userguide.pdf
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    It's not about being lazy, it's about having the 200 dollar Motorola software.

Besides, that's a user manual. And for the wrong radio.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast