Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Communications Preparations

I have a Short Wave radio that I can get news, or emergency announcements, and regular am/fm. The only Transceiver I have is the aviation band handheld that lives in my flight bag for in flight Comm and/or electrical failures. It also get weather, and the emergency "Guard" frequency of course. I wouldn't mind having a CB radio.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Packit and digital modes are making big moves lately. Reading,York and Lebanon County repeaters are doing weekly digital "nets" using FLDigi, and some other stuff. There's even been a rush for people signing up to get WinLink email accounts so they can send and receive email and weather reports. I keep telling people, HAM is an umbrella term for over 50 hobbies under one umbrella.
    I just got a couple more SDR's last week, and I still have my scanner antenna on the roof from when I could still listen to police, I could probably run that into one of my SDR's and use that to pick up that stuff. I got the extra SDR's because wanted to build an antenna to pick up weather satellite imagery.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(York County)

What are all the baofeng radios all about?

The terms being thrown around in this thread are Greek to me .

Obviously this is a complicated subject, but can you break things down for me? What frequencies are likely to be operating during different levels of SHTF? What radios are able to listen to those frequencies, etc.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    I have a Short Wave radio that I can get news, or emergency announcements, and regular am/fm. The only Transceiver I have is the aviation band handheld that lives in my flight bag for in flight Comm and/or electrical failures. It also get weather, and the emergency "Guard" frequency of course. I wouldn't mind having a CB radio.

I've had this Cobra one piece hard wired in our last 2 FJ's with an antenna out back. We use it primarily for off-roading, but it works well just rolling down the highway too!

https://www.cobra.com/collections/cb...oducts/c75wxst
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post

Obviously this is a complicated subject, but can you break things down for me? What frequencies are likely to be operating during different levels of SHTF? What radios are able to listen to those frequencies, etc.
    Complicated it is, especially for a thick skulled old geezer like me. Baofengs are about $25 delivered and I got mine with the cord, which is very beneficial, I'd be lost without it. That's about as far as my knowledge will take us.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I just got a couple more SDR's last week, and I still have my scanner antenna on the roof from when I could still listen to police, I could probably run that into one of my SDR's and use that to pick up that stuff. I got the extra SDR's because wanted to build an antenna to pick up weather satellite imagery.
    Check this out, project I've been following, if you want to try you can turn one of those SDR dongles into a Police scanner https://sites.google.com/site/policescannerhowto/

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    I've had this Cobra one piece hard wired in our last 2 FJ's with an antenna out back. We use it primarily for off-roading, but it works well just rolling down the highway too!

https://www.cobra.com/collections/cb...oducts/c75wxst
    exactly

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post

Baofeng is a specific Cheep Chinese brand of radio, can be had for about $25. Think of them as the "Jennings" of the radio world, cheep, and questionable quality. Something I wouldn't trust my life with, but a tool that has it's place in the tool bag. For frequencies in use in SHTF, all depends on many things. Official (Local, state, federal government and it agencies), Local and regional Official Auxiliary Emergency Communications (HAM RACES/ ARES/ ACS), and unorganized local units (families, friends, militia, prepers, etc) The official stuff will stick with what they are currently using, the Auxiliary also has it's own "Commo Plan", while the unorganized will be using anything and everything they can find, I'm thinking most will be FRS/ GMRS radios bought from Walmart or a local sporting store.

To learn what specific frequencies are allocated where, please refer back to the NIFOG and AUXFOG documents I linked to, while it won't give you specifics in the Auxiliary Communications teams (HAM), it will provide you the other agencies. For HAMs look at the repeaters (http://repeaterbook.com) in your area, one of those will be designated as the local RACES/ ACS/ Skywarn repeater, and will most likely be the one to monitor in your area. This link also has downloadable files for programming scanners https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/

(Montgomery County)

If anyone wants it, i can try to upload my programming file.
    Its a very simple channel database and specifically for th baofeng UV5R.
    List of 69 channels goes:
    FRS
    Gmrs
    murs 1
    Murs 1
    Murs 3
    Murs blue dot
    Murs green dot
    70cm ham call
    2m ham call
    Noaa weather alerts

I can also give basic start up directions on using chirp. Very basic but functional.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Baofeng is a specific Cheep Chinese brand of radio, can be had for about $25.
    Now on Amazon for twice that.

Mirkit Radio Baofeng UV-5R MK5 8W MP Max Power 2020 1800 mAh Li-Ion Battery Pack, Baofengradio corp.

$55.75 (Prime)

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast