Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Communications Preparations

Quote Originally Posted by Gripsafety View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what is the model number of your Garmins? Since they are "type accepted", such adjustments, if available at all, would be internal and not easily available to a user.

It looks to me that the "type accepted" rules have actually been tightened, with the older FRS/GMRS "type accepted" being grandfathered. Going forward, such radios will not be approved. AFAIK, the Baofengs are not now nor ever have been "type accepted" and are not legal for use on those frequencies, even if they might be within the GMRS power requirements.
    One is 650 and the other is 655t and they do have ports that I can hook a cable to.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    Well, if it makes you feel better. I've got my license (up for a 3rd renewal in 2023), but I have no idea where my old Yaseu 2m/70cm handheld is. So I'll be getting one of the cheap radios to have on hand.
    yes, it does make me feel better, and as I've stated before I'm not a gear snob, I'm here to help people, and part of that is teaching them to do things the correct way to keep them out of trouble.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    I have been reading this thread. I know nothing about these things but this is what I understand:

I don't need a license to buy listen and transmit. correct ?
    Partial correct. to listen, no no license needed. to transmit, depends on the frequencies/ band. CB Radios need no license, the cheep baofengs (and others) do need a license and in some cases are not lawful to transmit on certain allocated frequencies.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    I remember back in the 1970s getting a HAM license was a long, expensive and arduous task. When I was in junior high someone came to the school to see if anyone was interested and a number of us signed up. He came over to the house and gave me and my parents a rundown of what was needed. Way too much and none of us perused the devour. Ump tine levels of Morse code plus tests in between. Upgrading equipment as you moved up the Morse code scale. I got into radio control instead.

This thread has my interest since early last September I bought one of those Baofeng radios and cable before they were banned or changed. I also picked up a multi pack of Midland handhelds too. I figured that my comms needs were taken care of for awhile. I hope that I can learn something here.
    Ham Licensing changed big time in the late 90's, early 00's while you still need to pass a test, you no longer need to worry about "Code" aka learning to type x number of words per minute send receive in Morse code.The tests themselves do get a little technical but study aids on smart phones and http://hamtestonline.com get most people their license. Also many HAM clubs sponsor or know of "Boot camps" that teach the test in a weekend, it's like drinking from a fire hose, it's how I got my ticket, but you have the benefit of having a test right after the "class". Depending on the VE team, it'll cost the FCC fee of $15 for paperwork, some teams wave the fee and take it from their parent club.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Roland45 View Post
    got this from the midland website, perhaps it will help the technically challenged of us understand FRS / GMRS changes that have taken place recently.

6 Things You Should Know about FCC Changes for FRS and GMRS Radios

We receive many questions on the new FCC changes, what they mean for Midland Radios, and what they mean for our consumers. Below are the top takeaways from these recent changes. What you will notice is that not much has changed, these rules have basically just been updated to fit modern radio usage.

1. FRS radios are now allowed to transmit up to 2W of power and do not require a license to operate: Formally referred to as FRS/GMRS hybrid radios, these radios will now be reclassified as FRS units using expanded FRS capabilities.

2. FRS radios will now have 22 channels: These expanded capabilities now include usage of channels 8 – 14, and previously GMRS only channels 15 – 22, in addition to the existing FRS channels 1 – 7. It is important to note that each FRS transmitter type must be designed such that the effective radiated power (ERP) on channels 8 – 14 does not exceed 0.5 Watts and the ERP on channels 1 – 7 and 15 – 22 does not exceed 2.0 Watts. Part95 – eCFR

3. You will be allowed to use reclassified FRS units for personal or business reasons: People have been doing this for a while, but now it is legal! While the Midland BizTalk BR200 radio is better suited for business use, the XTalker line can now be used in a business setting.

4. Any radio above 2W of power is now classified as GMRS radio: and still requires a license from the FCC to operate. Not much change here, except sharing additional stations with FRS radio users.

5. GMRS licensing is now good for 10 years and cost $70: This covers you and your immediate family and was previously only valid for 5 years.

6. GMRS will have 30 total channels: This means 22 FRS/GMRS channels plus 8 repeater channels. As with FRS, radios on these channels are limited to the ERP designated. If you are using a GMRS radio on channels 8 -14 you are still limited to a transmitting power of .5W. FCC GMRS Channels
    If you have questions regarding the new FCC regulations please give our industry-leading customer service a call at (816) 241-8500 M-F, 8am-4:30pm CT.

The part I like best is number 5. for $70. you can get your whole family radios , in GMRS,( that are listed as Part95 – eCFR) With a lot more watts of broadcasting power in your vehicle, or base, or anyone of your families vehicle. 40 watts and a decent antenna can go a long , long way. if there are repeaters in your area, even further.

hope this helps
    thanks for posting this, yes this is good valuable data I hope people will learn from.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Ham Licensing changed big time in the late 90's, early 00's while you still need to pass a test, you no longer need to worry about "Code" aka learning to type x number of words per minute send receive in Morse code.The tests themselves do get a little technical but study aids on smart phones and http://hamtestonline.com get most people their license. Also many HAM clubs sponsor or know of "Boot camps" that teach the test in a weekend, it's like drinking from a fire hose, it's how I got my ticket, but you have the benefit of having a test right after the "class". Depending on the VE team, it'll cost the FCC fee of $15 for paperwork, some teams wave the fee and take it from their parent club.
    I got my license in 93 in 6 land. My folks, who just had gotten their license, had a computer program that would give you all the possible questions in random order, and let you know if you got the right one. I practiced with it for about a week. Had no issues with the test. It was a no-code tech license, so while I did try learning code, I never did get any good at it.

(Allegheny County)

I got some radios coming today. I guess I’m gonna be an outlaw. Oh well.

(Berks County)

I got my license in 93 in 6 land. My folks, who just had gotten their license, had a computer program that would give you all the possible questions in random order, and let you know if you got the right one. I practiced with it for about a week. Had no issues with the test. It was a no-code tech license, so while I did try learning code, I never did get any good at it.
    I bought the book and tried to learn to get my HAM license sometime back in the '90s and gave up. I don't think I could learn morse code if my life depended on it. For this tech license I studied the hamstudy.org site and passed with flying colors, way ahead of everyone else in the class and they had pencils, paper and calculators. But when I left I didn't know anything and probably couldn't pass the test today.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I bought the book and tried to learn to get my HAM license sometime back in the '90s and gave up. I don't think I could learn morse code if my life depended on it. For this tech license I studied the hamstudy.org site and passed with flying colors, way ahead of everyone else in the class and they had pencils, paper and calculators. But when I left I didn't know anything and probably couldn't pass the test today.
    Give it a go, you might surprise yourself, I helped a 70 yo math challenged (his words) guy get his.

(Lebanon County)

I've never done well with code, but some of my friends are studying it for fun and a few of them want to do QRP

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast