Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Gardening questions/ tips thread

Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

That PVC vegetable prison won't work for most tomatoes. Would need to be two times higher or more.

Speaking of tomatoes and raised beds...

The tomatoes we plant in the rope handle "party bucket" grow better than the ones we plant in the ground.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Harbor Freight bucket's are $3.25 without the lid.

Part 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH6ATJmVfxQ
    Last edited by K.C.; April 26th, 2020 at 10:41 AM. Reason: added link to part 2
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Chester County)

Since this gardening tips thread is in the Emergency Preps forum, I recommend blueberry bushes for an early season source of nutrients. My bushes have been very care free since planting, other than having to net them against bird thievery once the fruits start to ripen. Blueberry bushes are quite compact and prefer acid soil. Start the bushes and mulch them with peat moss in the beginning and top dress with coffee grounds as an acidifying agent a couple of times per year. I haven't had any problems with fungus, pests, etc., other than birds eating the fruits when ripe.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    Since this gardening tips thread is in the Emergency Preps forum, I recommend blueberry bushes for an early season source of nutrients. My bushes have been very care free since planting, other than having to net them against bird thievery once the fruits start to ripen. Blueberry bushes are quite compact and prefer acid soil. Start the bushes and mulch them with peat moss in the beginning and top dress with coffee grounds as an acidifying agent a couple of times per year. I haven't had any problems with fungus, pests, etc., other than birds eating the fruits when ripe.
    Don't forget to get multiple varieties so they can cross pollinate each other.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Don't forget to get multiple varieties so they can cross pollinate each other.
    Thanks gghbi, I do have three different varieties that have slightly different ripening dates.

Loving my asparagus right now. I planted 54 root masses two years ago. So this is our first good year of harvest. Picking about 40 every third day. Once the weather heats up this week, they should really start pushing up.

(Chester County)

I've put back several varieties of seeds, each year since 2014. Today, I decided to pull out some of my oldest seeds to plant and observe the germination rate and vitality of these seeds and the subsequent plants. I planted carrots, beets, peas and collards, I will be planting broccoli, bell peppers, tomatoes, green beans, cabbage, acorn squash and butternut squash from 2014, later in the season. I'll update throughout the growing season.

These seeds have been stored in their original packs inside a metal tin with a desiccant pack. The lid was sealed with blue painter's tape and kept in my cool, dry basement.

(Chester County)

So now, over two weeks later, I've had 1 lone pea sprout, about 50% of the beet seeds, just a few carrot seeds, NO collard green, tomato or bell pepper seeds. I'm going to pull out some of the 2016 "Seed Vault" varieties and test them next.

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    So now, over two weeks later, I've had 1 lone pea sprout, about 50% of the beet seeds, just a few carrot seeds, NO collard green, tomato or bell pepper seeds. I'm going to pull out some of the 2016 "Seed Vault" varieties and test them next.
    there is still plenty of bean season left. all my snap beans are 6-8" high, the bushe beans are about 4-6" the butter lettuce is equal and is getting nomnomed as i walk by.
    cabbage i planted last year and kept growing indoors which never formed heads is now leafing heavily, might actually turn into cabbages or bolts.
    everything brought in from freezing is now back out as of this morning. grow lights are finally off.

if the summer is mild we might get a good long cool weather crop season.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast