Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Alternative gun storage

I have all my guns in two safes. One big safe and a quick access safe on my nightstand. It would be really easy for someone to break in, wrap a chain around my safe and pull it out of my house if we weren't home. I've thought about hiding a few guns in some other places just in case. Paranoid?
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Alternative gun storage

No, it's a good methodology. You're averaging out your potential to loss. If a thief has to break into multiple safes, you're slowing them down. The only caveat here is that typically, smaller safes are less secure in terms of their steel thickness and construction, plus they're easier to haul away. So is one big, very high quality safe better than multiple, small/medium size, medium quality safes? I'm not sure... both have pros/cons.

Go for a layered approach. Battery/Wifi powered cameras are CHEAP nowadays. $60 for one that you only have to bring inside to recharge every couple of months and they record when motion events set them off with a notification to your smart phone. Outdoor elements rated, no wiring. A few of those around your house plus a good security system are good layers beyond gun safes.

False walls.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Secure the safe(s) and/or make them as heavy as possible too.

I don't have any children in the house. I could just put a couple in storage bins in my crawlspace.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

When would someone be tying a chain to your safe and pulling it out of house? Is this during broad day light? Why would you not be home or any other member of your house. Is everyone allowed to work in your house? Do you live in cabin in woods where gun thieves wouldn’t worry about this in daylight? Are you a heavy sleeper and not hear it

Just far enough from Philly, Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by 379pete View Post
    When would someone be tying a chain to your safe and pulling it out of house? Is this during broad day light? Why would you not be home or any other member of your house. Is everyone allowed to work in your house? Do you live in cabin in woods where gun thieves wouldn’t worry about this in daylight? Are you a heavy sleeper and not hear it
    I don't recall the actual percentage but the majority of break ins and burglaries happen between 10am and 3pm.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Highnoone View Post
    I don't recall the actual percentage but the majority of break ins and burglaries happen between 10am and 3pm.
    Yeah, contractor van rolls in, crew gets out like they have a contract, one guy with a clipboard, say goodbye to your stuff.

Side note. They cleaned out a Warminster cops house 5 or six years ago. He lives a block from the station and there’s always a marked car in front of his house. Pretty brazen! On the other hand, it is a Warminster cop, so was he really robbed, or was the insurance company robbed? We might never know.

(Bucks County)

The typical attached garage has unfinished space under the roof. Often owners put down plywood over the joists to create storage space. I guess you could pull one of the plywood sheets and lay some gats between the joists, replace the sheet of plywood with a couple screws. Put boxes of xmas decorations and other crap over the area. Hypothetically.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    The typical attached garage has unfinished space under the roof. Often owners put down plywood over the joists to create storage space. I guess you could pull one of the plywood sheets and lay some gats between the joists, replace the sheet of plywood with a couple screws. Put boxes of xmas decorations and other crap over the area. Hypothetically.
    Gotta consider storage conditions & humidity in that situation. You'd need a sealed container and a desiccant at a minimum. Or slather on cosmoline...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast