Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default WASR 10 Cycling Issues, any AK aficionados?

Evening all

I bought a WASR 10 on this lovely site over the summer. Love the hell out of it, and the AK platform. Unfortunately, even with three separate magazines, I can't seem to get reliable feeding. A round always ends up in the chamber, without fail, but about 40% of the time the bolt doesn't go fully into battery. Sometimes I can push it right in, but most times I need to drop mag and manually re-rack with the charging handle. I'm not sure if it's a piston/gas tube issue, magazine issue, hammer/rail friction issue, or something I'm missing entirely. Anyone particularly well versed in AKs within an hour and a half of Fort Washington willing to work with me and figure it out?

I've tried Magpul 10 and 30 rounders, and a steel mag of unknown origin, though I think they're American. Cleaned it well, changed out extractor springs on the bolt. Not entirely sure what to do next! Thinking a new recoil spring. I don't have much AK experience to compare this to, so I'm looking for help. Thanks!

Gr1M
    I just love shooting.

Default Re: WASR 10 Cycling Issues, any AK aficionados?

Do you see any unusual wear or rubbing marks in the action? Is this an older import built off a demilled military rifle or is it one of the newer commercial imports?

Are you using a recoil buffer?

Could be an issue with the front trunion being off or the receiver itself being bent which will cause binding on the trunion. Happened to me with a brand new rifle and the manufacturer replaced the receiver. If you don't see anything really unusual I would try a new recoil spring. ALG makes a enhanced spring which makes the rifle much smoother.

https://shop.akoperatorsunionlocal47...Spring-ALG.htm

I'm definitely not an expert but I've owned at least 7 AK pattern rifles over the years and have run into some issue, the one mentioned above was the biggest. Unfortunately I'm on the other side of the state. If you can take detailed pictures of the internals especially the front and rear trunion, bolt face, locking lugs, and the carrier we can check them out for excessive wear or deformation.
    Last edited by Hodgie; March 12th, 2020 at 10:29 PM.

(Montgomery County)

I think I see standard wear/rubbing marks, but nothing that jumps right out at me. Through my admittedly limited research, I believe it's one of the newer commercial imports.

I am not using a buffer no.

I haven't measured with a caliper, but it seems like the receiver is ok. Unfortunately, I think I am outside the one year warranty period the rifle had. I'm not sure what is unusual though, as I'm relatively new to this platform. Definitely down to try the new spring though, I hope it's that simple of a fix. Thanks for the link!
    I just love shooting.

Does it bind when you hand cycle the action right before it's completely closed?

Have you tried different ammunition types?

How's the inside of the gas tube look, any heavy drag marks from the piston?

(Montgomery County)

It doesn’t, no. The only resistance I feel is the bolt carrier rubbing against the hammer, and it feels fairly significant. I’m not sure how heavy it’s supposed to feel, given this is the only AK pattern rifle I’ve ever used. Otherwise, the action feels good to me.

I’ve tried Fiocchi brass and Tulammo. Those are easiest to get, but perhaps I could order more.

The inside of the gas tube looks like I imagine it should. No obvious marring, but tomorrow I could get a picture posted because I’m not totally sure. The piston has a really tiny bit of play, but I’ve read that’s standard.

(Elk County)

Try lubricating the bolt carrier grooves that mate with the receiver, and the bolt lugs and their mating surfaces in the carrier or barrel trunnion. I prefer a light coating of grease because it hangs on longer.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gr1mfire View Post
    It doesn’t, no. The only resistance I feel is the bolt carrier rubbing against the hammer, and it feels fairly significant. I’m not sure how heavy it’s supposed to feel, given this is the only AK pattern rifle I’ve ever used. Otherwise, the action feels good to me.

I’ve tried Fiocchi brass and Tulammo. Those are easiest to get, but perhaps I could order more.

The inside of the gas tube looks like I imagine it should. No obvious marring, but tomorrow I could get a picture posted because I’m not totally sure. The piston has a really tiny bit of play, but I’ve read that’s standard.
    It should run any kind of ammo you put in.

I'm far from an AK expert but you could try grinding/polishing the hammer humps. That will add a bit more smoothness as the bolt rides over it. It also has the added benefit of not deforming the bolt carrier tail as much.

Additionally you can try the ALG recoil spring which has a bit more power. A standard spring of course should work, but yours may be worn out.

(Bucks County)

Googled WASR 10/63 chambers, but bolt doesn't go into battery. Got many discussions and videos on the subject:

https://www.google.com/search?q=WASR...hrome&ie=UTF-8

The second video shows how a ledgy hump on the hammer was snagging the bolt. The guy polished it, rounding it, and solved the problem.

Another guy wrote about asian ammo not cycling the bolt, switching to Winchester ammo solved it.

My 10/63 runs fine on anything. Friend has one and his runs well too. I think whatever is wrong is likely an easy fix.
    Last edited by Bang; March 13th, 2020 at 01:52 AM.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Googled WASR 10/63 chambers, but bolt doesn't go into battery. Got many discussions and videos on the subject:

https://www.google.com/search?q=WASR...hrome&ie=UTF-8

The second video shows how a ledgy hump on the hammer was snagging the bolt. The guy polished it, rounding it, and solved the problem.

Another guy wrote about asian ammo not cycling the bolt, switching to Winchester ammo solved it.

My 10/63 runs fine on anything. Friend has one and his runs well too. I think whatever is wrong is likely an easy fix.
    If it's a new import it's a WASR-10 and most likely came with the Century Arms trigger group which should have the correct profile already, but it is century so there is that. If it does indeed have a Tapco-G2 then it very well may be the issue. Tula ammo can suck at times but Fiocchi x39 is good stuff so I don't see it being an ammunition issue. If you don't see any major deformation anywhere then it's most likely going to be a fluff and buff issue.

Just for reference here are some example pictures of some damaged caused by a out of spec receiver or poor build. This was my rifle which had a bad receiver and it was replaced by the manufacturer. The front Trunion on the right side was taking a real beating when the rifle locked up into battery and I was having all types of ejection issues.

Last edited by Hodgie; March 13th, 2020 at 05:33 AM.

First scrub the chamber. Then clean and lube the locking lug recesses. If those dont do it have the headspace checked, if it's too tight it may be picky on ammo. Also check the bolt carrier where the bolt rotates. Pictures help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast