Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: WASR 10 Cycling Issues, any AK aficionados?

Wow. That damage tells the tale. So, there is now a WASR 10 having nothing to do with /63. Got it. Always learning from contributors like Hodgie.

Speaking of which, sorry to hear Century is still screwing up. I thought they had gotten it right of late.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Cumberland County)

Not trying to be a wise ass, have you asked the seller if they experienced the issue? I would sure hope that one of our fine members would not be offended by that question.

Also, the answers above are a good start.

(I'd start with greasing the rails)
    Obama. AYFKM?! / Pravda vit'azi.

(Bucks County)

Now I am reading the difference between the 10 and the 10/63 is just the /63 stamp. Same Romanian rifle, very popular with the cartels, suggesting high reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Now I am reading the difference between the 10 and the 10/63 is just the /63 stamp. Same Romanian rifle, very popular with the cartels, suggesting high reliability.
    Nope the 10/63’s were early imports that were made off new or parts kits from demilled Romanian military rifles in the Romanian Cugir factory. The only thing changed was the receiver before export and what ever had to be removed in 03 due to the AWB. Most were on complete matching parts kits. The new import 10’s are made from newly manufactured parts for commercial export only. My GP 10/63 was made from a matching military parts kit from 1986.

If you have an hour here is the correct history on all Romanian AK’s and imports. Yes this guy is blind and he is a AK and surplus historical guru.

Last edited by Hodgie; March 14th, 2020 at 10:47 PM.

(Bucks County)

Thanks! I think I've watched him years ago. I'll watch it again now.

I bought my 10/63 four days after Obama won the election in 2008. It is a Cugir stamped 1973. Century opened it up for the wider mags. When I bought a Romanian drum I had to open it a little more. It trigger slapped until I fixed that. Been great otherwise. Straight-up gas block and front sight. $399. A week later they were $499.

Thanks! I think I've watched him years ago. I'll watch it again now.

I bought my 10/63 four days after Obama won the election in 2008. It is a Cugir stamped 1973. Century opened it up for the wider mags. When I bought a Romanian drum I had to open it a little more. It trigger slapped until I fixed that. Been great otherwise. Straight-up gas block and front sight. $399. A week later they were $499.
    I had a few back in 08/09 that ran me $350 each since they were single stack and I opened them up myself. They ran great but I sold them off which I later came to regret. Last fall a member here was selling a GP 10/63 with 1150 rounds of ammo and 12 mags for $600.00 so I jumped on it. I put it in the Romy G furniture and it shoots excellent. Probably one of my favorite AK in my safe with my Chinese MAK-90 running in a very close 2nd..The new WASR's are running between $700 and $800.00 now. Times definitely change.

(Bucks County)

Do you have a box of AKM stuff like I do? LOL.... black plastic furniture, some with Picatinny rails, thumbhole (sort of) rear stock. I think I have an AR-style adjustable stock and an aftermarket side-folder stock. One day I looked at the gun and said to mine self, "Self, I really miss the wooden furniture". It's been back on ever since, colored (as best I could do it) a Russian red look.

The leather pouch that came with the gun had scratched writing on the flap, one word Libra stood out. I sent a photo of it to a Romanian-speaking guy. He interpreted it as the soldier counting his days to freedom. Seems the Romanians were impressed into military service, and view it as forced slavery. He had freedom in sight and put it on the pouch.
    Last edited by Bang; March 15th, 2020 at 11:49 AM.

Do you have a box of AKM stuff like I do? LOL.... black plastic furniture, some with Picatinny rails, thumbhole (sort of) rear stock. I think I have an AR-style adjustable stock and an aftermarket side-folder stock. One day I looked at the gun and said to mine self, "Self, I really miss the wooden furniture". It's been back on ever since, colored (as best I could do it) a Russian red look.

The leather pouch that came with the gun had scratched writing on the flap, one word Libra stood out. I sent a photo of it to a Romanian-speaking guy. He interpreted it as the soldier counting his days to freedom. Seems the Romanians were impressed into military service, and view it as forced slavery. He had freedom in sight and put it on the pouch.
    I believe they are conscripted into atleast 2yrs of service

(Bucks County)

Here's a video made by the same blind AK history expert, FFL and gunsmith, as he goes thru everything trying to find why the bolt is hanging up going towards battery.
    You can click on the settings gear and change the play speed to 1.25, and also bump it to 24 minutes and see how the culprit turned out to be the dust cover !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OesZvjM9nQw

ETA: Make sure the piston can wobble at its mounting point. If it's welded solid...no good...must have play.
    Last edited by Bang; March 16th, 2020 at 05:10 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gr1mfire View Post
    Evening all

I bought a WASR 10 on this lovely site over the summer. Love the hell out of it, and the AK platform. Unfortunately, even with three separate magazines, I can't seem to get reliable feeding. A round always ends up in the chamber, without fail, but about 40% of the time the bolt doesn't go fully into battery. Sometimes I can push it right in, but most times I need to drop mag and manually re-rack with the charging handle. I'm not sure if it's a piston/gas tube issue, magazine issue, hammer/rail friction issue, or something I'm missing entirely. Anyone particularly well versed in AKs within an hour and a half of Fort Washington willing to work with me and figure it out?

I've tried Magpul 10 and 30 rounders, and a steel mag of unknown origin, though I think they're American. Cleaned it well, changed out extractor springs on the bolt. Not entirely sure what to do next! Thinking a new recoil spring. I don't have much AK experience to compare this to, so I'm looking for help. Thanks!

Gr1M
    Howdy Gr1m, did you ever get the problem sorted out? One thing I hate, it’s a rifle that won’t function properly!

I starting my my firearms building 15 years ago building AK47s...right after the Clinton AWB expired in ‘04. I’ve built & worked on more than I’d like to count out. I do not work as a professional gunsmith, but my knowledge base is considerable & I consider myself a gunsmith. It’s a passion for me, and enjoy helping others when I can. Of course we are going through this “pandemic” hoopla right now....., but when things calm down it would be my pleasure to give you a hand.

I’m not too far, just in Delaware county. PM me if you’d like. And, everything I do is gratis! I even do trigger jobs for free. Simply because I enjoy it.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast