Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Re: Updated PCC 9mm downselection discussion

I have a QC10 9mm glock mag SBR lower with the LRBHO upper and no complaints. It is my USPSA PCC gun. I have an MP5 clone but it’s not as fast as an AR9 for competition, at least in my hands.

(Washington County)

I really like our CMMG BANSHEE 300 chambered in 45 ACP that uses Glock mags. I like all the choices you have when ordering from CMMG: 10+ Cerakote choices, 10+ calibers, 10+ barrel lengths. Now I wanted the 45 ACP in their 300 models, so I only had to choose which color I wanted. I went with Burnt Bronze.

Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

I have the Ruger PC Carbine and the Pak9. I like the Ruger quite a bit. I've shot it in a couple of PCC matches. Runs like a top. I've done some upgrades to make it more competition friendly (10/22 trigger mod, extended mag release, large charging handle), but out of the box it was good. The Pak9 I started to upgrade and kinda lost interest. Bought a threading tool for it, but never got around to threading the barrel. It's a fun gun, but it's nothing more than a range toy.

I'd like to get the PSA AK-V. Looks cooler than the Pak9 with the curved Scorpion mags. Saw a used one last month and didn't buy, now I regret it, but only just a little.

I was pretty interested in the Stribog last year, but was holding out for the A3 delayed roller version. Then I started reading about mag issues. GP/GO is offering reinforced mags to deal with cracking problem. Not sure if they're readily available or not. As far as the Glock lower is concerned, that's not being made by GP/GO. It's made by Safety Harbor Firearms. It's still in the prototype stage, will probably cost half or more of the price of a Stribog, and will require a new bolt. $700-$850 (brace) for a Stribog A1 (A3 is $999 - no brace), plus another $400 for a Glock lower. Not worth the price increase for essentially a range toy. That said, I may break down eventually and get one once the mag issue is sorted out.

For the price of the Stribog Glock lower you can get an Extar9 that already takes Glock mags. Only drawback is you're limited to what stock you put on it. When the Extar9 first came out I reached out to the manufacturer and asked if the gun could take a standard AR buffer tube and was told that it was proprietary. I know the adapter for the Extar556 doesn't work with the Extar9. But I think I read somewhere that someone figured out a way to make an AR buffer tube work and was able to put on a different stabilizing brace.

So, TL : DR - The Ruger is the only true PCC. Everything else is a pistol. All have weaknesses, 9mm not my first choice for HD, but regardless, could be buckets of fun at the range.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bugout View Post
    What kind of brace do you have on it? I have a FS1913 folding brace on my extar gen 2 556 pistol (no buffer tube needed) - i would like to see/ use the psa triangle brace they are using on the akv on the ep9..
    it came with a brace, non folding non adjustable. I think it may be proprietary.

I read somewhere that someone figured out how to swap it out but don't remember where i read it. Maybe arfcom.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I have the Ruger PC Carbine and the Pak9. I like the Ruger quite a bit. I've shot it in a couple of PCC matches. Runs like a top. I've done some upgrades to make it more competition friendly (10/22 trigger mod, extended mag release, large charging handle), but out of the box it was good. The Pak9 I started to upgrade and kinda lost interest. Bought a threading tool for it, but never got around to threading the barrel. It's a fun gun, but it's nothing more than a range toy.

I'd like to get the PSA AK-V. Looks cooler than the Pak9 with the curved Scorpion mags. Saw a used one last month and didn't buy, now I regret it, but only just a little.

I was pretty interested in the Stribog last year, but was holding out for the A3 delayed roller version. Then I started reading about mag issues. GP/GO is offering reinforced mags to deal with cracking problem. Not sure if they're readily available or not. As far as the Glock lower is concerned, that's not being made by GP/GO. It's made by Safety Harbor Firearms. It's still in the prototype stage, will probably cost half or more of the price of a Stribog, and will require a new bolt. $700-$850 (brace) for a Stribog A1 (A3 is $999 - no brace), plus another $400 for a Glock lower. Not worth the price increase for essentially a range toy. That said, I may break down eventually and get one once the mag issue is sorted out.

For the price of the Stribog Glock lower you can get an Extar9 that already takes Glock mags. Only drawback is you're limited to what stock you put on it. When the Extar9 first came out I reached out to the manufacturer and asked if the gun could take a standard AR buffer tube and was told that it was proprietary. I know the adapter for the Extar556 doesn't work with the Extar9. But I think I read somewhere that someone figured out a way to make an AR buffer tube work and was able to put on a different stabilizing brace.

So, TL : DR - The Ruger is the only true PCC. Everything else is a pistol. All have weaknesses, 9mm not my first choice for HD, but regardless, could be buckets of fun at the range.
    How do you like the 10/22 trigger mod? Better in what way? Where did you buy it if you don’t mind saying?

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    How do you like the 10/22 trigger mod? Better in what way? Where did you buy it if you don’t mind saying?
    I like the mod, it dropped my trigger pull down to just under 3lbs. When I did the mod, there was nothing on the market for the PC Carbine. I'd read on a Brian Enos forum post about someone trying the Volquartsen 10/22 Target Trigger and the Power Custom Hammer and Sear Kit in their PC Carbine and having good success. I opted to get the Volquartsen trigger, but a JWH Target Hammer Kit instead. I didn't need the sear from the PC Kit, so I didn't see any point to spending the extra cash. Plus, I've used JWH parts before and had good results.

The install was easy, except for one caveat - the trigger didn't fit. The disconnector on the PC Carbine is different from the 10/22. I bought a 10/22 disconnector, but never installed it or the VQ trigger. Eventually I bought a Tandemkross Victory Trigger for the PC Carbine and used the VQ trigger in another 10/22 build.

These days there are more PC Carbine options out there. I hear good things about MCARBO's PC Carbine spring kit, and they have a flat trigger, as well. If there had been more options in 2018, I may have tried something else. But I can't complain. The gun runs nice.

(Bucks County)

I like the mod, it dropped my trigger pull down to just under 3lbs. When I did the mod, there was nothing on the market for the PC Carbine. I'd read on a Brian Enos forum post about someone trying the Volquartsen 10/22 Target Trigger and the Power Custom Hammer and Sear Kit in their PC Carbine and having good success. I opted to get the Volquartsen trigger, but a JWH Target Hammer Kit instead. I didn't need the sear from the PC Kit, so I didn't see any point to spending the extra cash. Plus, I've used JWH parts before and had good results.

The install was easy, except for one caveat - the trigger didn't fit. The disconnector on the PC Carbine is different from the 10/22. I bought a 10/22 disconnector, but never installed it or the VQ trigger. Eventually I bought a Tandemkross Victory Trigger for the PC Carbine and used the VQ trigger in another 10/22 build.

These days there are more PC Carbine options out there. I hear good things about MCARBO's PC Carbine spring kit, and they have a flat trigger, as well. If there had been more options in 2018, I may have tried something else. But I can't complain. The gun runs nice.
    I did a Kidd Trigger Job Kit for a 10/22, and it was well worth the $110. But I have yet to find an equivalent rebuild kit for the PC9. Everything I’ve read about only changes springs or the trigger paddle, if I understand it. And the price makes no sense to me for a $500 rifle that has an “okay” trigger out of the box. So I’m still looking.

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    I did a Kidd Trigger Job Kit for a 10/22, and it was well worth the $110. But I have yet to find an equivalent rebuild kit for the PC9. Everything I’ve read about only changes springs or the trigger paddle, if I understand it. And the price makes no sense to me for a $500 rifle that has an “okay” trigger out of the box. So I’m still looking.
    The JWH kit is $30. It replaces the hammer and springs. Makes a big difference over just the springs. For another $30-$50 you can get a PC Carbine specific trigger from MCARBO or Tandemkross. Not a bad deal to get a 2.5-3lb trigger.

It's no Kidd Trigger, but Tony Kidd has said he has no plans to make anything for the PC Carbine. I have Kidd trigger kits and full trigger packs in a few 10/22s. Great, great triggers, but they're all sub 2lb pull. I don't want anything that light for my PC Carbine.

(Bucks County)

The JWH kit is $30. It replaces the hammer and springs. Makes a big difference over just the springs. For another $30-$50 you can get a PC Carbine specific trigger from MCARBO or Tandemkross. Not a bad deal to get a 2.5-3lb trigger.

It's no Kidd Trigger, but Tony Kidd has said he has no plans to make anything for the PC Carbine. I have Kidd trigger kits and full trigger packs in a few 10/22s. Great, great triggers, but they're all sub 2lb pull. I don't want anything that light for my PC Carbine.
    Thanks! That’s good info. I tried to rep you but it says it’s too soon.

(Philadelphia County)

yeah maybe i should have called the thread subgun 9mm downselection... i prob also shouldve mentioned that im not an AR guy at all, not sure why always hated them.

hodgie has me really considering the AKV, other than the glock mag thing it looks awesome and its threaded; if i went back to my pak9 i would prob pay like 200-300 just getting the barrel threaded and adding brace etc and then im right at the akv price... but then theres that extar ep9 that takes glock mags and is only like $425 - but not digging that proprietary tube etc ugh... carbine-wise the ruger seems hard to beat esp since magpul is releasing the backpacker stock for it per 2020 shot show - but i hate when ppl call it handy or packable, it is not, it weighs a ton..

seriously ruger needs to put out a charger-version of the pc9 with a short & lightweight threaded barrel and a sporter style brace setup that folds - that would kick ass

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast