Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Marlin model 81DL

I just picked up one in excellent condition at a gun show . It has the original peep sight I only had to order an aperture for it . Haven’t had a chance to get it out to the range yet . Anyone have any experience with this particular 22? Looks like it’s a shooter but you never know .

I’ll get some pics posted here soon.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Berks County)

Default Re: Marlin model 81DL

Some pics and and old ad ...CF9B3382-5AFA-425A-91FE-8B7F3463C982.jpg
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Berks County)

Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Berks County)

Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Bucks County)

I had been doing well at a YMCA summer camp earning NRA junior marksmanship badges on the 50 foot course. When I was 12 (1949) my folks gave me an 80-DL for Christmas. The following summer I was putting 5 into one hole with it. So tight that the instructor/counsellor saw only 4 and would not credit me with the fifth once. I was furious. After that I made a concerted effort to slightly spread the group. Not bragging, just verifying the accuracy of the gun. Your 81 as you know has a tubular mag and the 80 has a clip thing (sarc)(LOL).

In my later teen years I drilled and tapped the receiver for a telescope mount, and safely put the peep sight somewhere among my effects while still a kid at home. Last year I got wondering about it. It seems I no longer have it.

Long about 1970s I discovered that it had lost its sharp accuracy. I scrubbed hell out of the bore to no effect. Never at the time thought about the brand of ammo that may have been the problem.

A few years ago I read of a theory that the .22LR was ultimate at a 16" barrel length. I cut it down to 16 and recrowned it and tried a lot of brands of ammo but she just ain't able to yield what she once could.

Finding what a .22LR rifle "likes" can be quite a task. If your new acquisition proves accurate, make note of the ammo you are shooting. If not, try others. Good luck with your find.

ETA: A few months ago I found an 80-DL for sale for $85. I wanted to buy it but the bore was so filthy I couldn't take a chance on it.
    Last edited by Bang; March 20th, 2020 at 11:14 AM.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Berks County)

Thanks for the info and the history ....My first rifle experience was at camp Chesterfield in Massachusetts. Boy Scout rifle merit badge . Single shot .22 with peep sights ...cant remember the make if the rifle. I found out early in my life at 13yrs old that I was much better with a rifle than a bow and arrow. We used to have “egg shoots” where a raw egg was hung on a string and if you missed you had to drink a raw egg “Rocky style” in front of the camp at morning mess. Miss those days ...... I had to order new apertures both .50 and .80 for the 81dl they arrive on monday ...weather permitting I’ll take it out next weekend and see how it shoots , have 3 different .22 ammo that I will run to see what it likes.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult