Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Copper plated lead 9mm.

Anyone know of an affordable plated lead 9mm round that's easy to get? I was thinking about taking a class and there is one part of that takes places on a steel plate course and they do allow steel core ammo which I understand but they don't allow standard 9mm FMJ rounds either.

1. They must be using some really shitty mild steel.
    2. I have a metric shit ton of 9mm ammunition but no lead or plated lead loads.
    3. I don't reload and don't have the money to get into it now.

I was planning on using my G17 or 43x so strait lead isn't going to be a great idea.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Copper plated lead 9mm.

1. No. Fmj on steel are prone to riccochete. Eye injury = liability

2. Find factory ammo that has a TMJ bullet. Sierra and such. TMJ is plated. Buy ammo off of someone who makes ammo. Me or Kings or Master Ammo company, Spark Ammunition all make lead or plated ammo. Coated lead is Glock safe.

3. You and so many others.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Thanks for the information I will take a look and try to find some affordable TMJ ammunition if not then I might just pass on the course. I don't have the funds right now to drop on extra ammunition right now if it's much more then a normal box.

As far as the cheap steel goes, I have a lot of AR500 steel of my own and don't have jacket or core bounce back with any of my current stock of ammunition and that's at 5-7 yards. In fact The only time I've ever been hit with jackets was at a steel challenge match where they use mild steel targets. I wasn't the shooter either.

It's always something.
    Last edited by Hodgie; March 9th, 2020 at 12:33 AM.

(Luzerne County)

I've gone to a lot of LE instructor courses....as well as courses to add to my resume and have shot at a lot of steel. I've never seen where regular FMJ ammo was not allowed. Unless you are shooting right on top of the steel, frangible ammo would be recommended. Heck, we shoot .223 FMJ at steel, but not as close as with handguns.

When we do our yearly LE training and qualifications, I have my guys shoot at steel during some of the training, and we use regular FMJ ammo.

(Berks County)

On top of a hill is not too specific. Kings shooter supply sells painted lead.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Anyone know of an affordable plated lead 9mm round that's easy to get? I was thinking about taking a class and there is one part of that takes places on a steel plate course and they do allow steel core ammo which I understand but they don't allow standard 9mm FMJ rounds either.

1. They must be using some really shitty mild steel.
    2. I have a metric shit ton of 9mm ammunition but no lead or plated lead loads.
    3. I don't reload and don't have the money to get into it now.

I was planning on using my G17 or 43x so strait lead isn't going to be a great idea.
    $200 per 1000, free shipping, I will buy as much of the case as you don't want.
    https://www.targetsportsusa.com/spee...620-p-930.aspx
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    I got some poly-coated rounds off of Kings, IIRC they were about $10/box of 50, not much more. My gun club has an inside range but it is small and they prohibit FMJ ammo. When I asked them why they told me that they have had fragments come out of there and strike objects in the room. They didn't know why or how, they just know it happened.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    $200 per 1000, free shipping, I will buy as much of the case as you don't want.
    https://www.targetsportsusa.com/spee...620-p-930.aspx
    Thanks for the offer Bern. I saw these last night, if I can’t find anything affordable locally and order I will let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    I’m at the base of the Poconos so that’s a bit of a ride for me. Thanks for the info though.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I got some poly-coated rounds off of Kings, IIRC they were about $10/box of 50, not much more. My gun club has an inside range but it is small and they prohibit FMJ ammo. When I asked them why they told me that they have had fragments come out of there and strike objects in the room. They didn't know why or how, they just know it happened.
    $10.00 for the coated or powder coated bullets is good. Federal practice/training offerings in this style are about $15.00 per $50.00.

(Susquehanna County)

I have been hit with shed, shredded copper jackets from FMJ stuff a several of our monthly club matches when steel plates are used. I even had a sliver stuck in my face. the jacket material will even fly over the 8' high berms that surround our pits.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    I have been hit with shed, shredded copper jackets from FMJ stuff a several of our monthly club matches when steel plates are used. I even had a sliver stuck in my face. the jacket material will even fly over the 8' high berms that surround our pits.
    Now that you mention that, I found splatter around our table at the last Central PA Group Shoot. We had ptingers set up.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast