Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Routine for flying with a sidearm..

I just want to make sure I remember it correctly as I haven't checked in a firearm in a few years to fly. We're flying allegiant out of Allentown airport to Florida in a few weeks. I have a metal locking case that I put my unloaded and slide open firearm and then empty the magazine and remove. Can I leave that in the case? Also, bullets are to be in a separate container? Then I declare a properly secured firearm at the counter?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Routine for flying with a sidearm..

Whatever airline you are flying should have their procedure posted on their website or a link to the govt info.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Whatever airline you are flying should have their procedure posted on their website or a link to the govt info.
    Same routine I have encountered with Allegiant.I also recommend checking with their website for any changes that may have come up recently.Last time I went out of ABE-Allentown with Allegiant was December 2019 with no issues.Make sure you have NO loose ammo in your pockets too.

(Berks County)

About three years ago I flew out of Philadelphia. Empty gun, slide back, empty magazine removed and in same case, ammo in box in same case. Zero issues. I suspect since it's TSA, all airlines should all be the same, but it is probably best to check airline policy as suggested.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    I just want to make sure I remember it correctly as I haven't checked in a firearm in a few years to fly. We're flying allegiant out of Allentown airport to Florida in a few weeks. I have a metal locking case that I put my unloaded and slide open firearm and then empty the magazine and remove. Can I leave that in the case? Also, bullets are to be in a separate container? Then I declare a properly secured firearm at the counter?
    Yeah, we were planning to go to FLA too somewhere around the 2nd or 3rd week of April. Depending on circumstances, I'm not sure we're gonna take the vacation. Airline and hotel already agreed to refund our advance deposits...

I keep asking myself: "College kids from everywhere, visiting from 7 days to two weeks, all healthy kids, some recently visited with their folks in China, etc. Florida is now a hot spot..."

What could possibly be the infectious problem?

Gonna miss the St. Patty's day parade down there...
    - bamboomaster

(Indiana County)

What not to do: Strap it on your hip and when you get to the TSA people just shout out, "I've got a gun!"

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    Slide open is not a requirement. Empty magazine can be inserted into the firearm. Ammo can be in the same container as the firearm, but not in the magazine. Preferably in a factory ammo box, but at least in some kind of plastic ammo container..
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Slide open is not a requirement. Empty magazine can be inserted into the firearm. Ammo can be in the same container as the firearm, but not in the magazine. Preferably in a factory ammo box, but at least in some kind of plastic ammo container..
    A loaded magazine can be in the case with the firearm, just not inserted. TSA's definition of loaded is different than Pennsylvania's. TSA is more concerned that the primers are protected i.e. no loose rounds.

In San Antonio I argued this point with a TSA agent and I stood my ground as I was sure I was correct. I couldn't have unloaded my mags because my ammo box in the case was full and I didn't want to lose my carry ammo or toss live rounds in the trash. Eventually a supervisor came and I won . Loaded mags are much easier to handle once at your destination and ready to load up.

(Montgomery County)

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition

It says a loaded mag must 'completely enclose the ammunition'. Maybe have a small roll of tape or something handy to put over the top cartridge, although I've never been asked to do this. Again, the main concern is a round wiggling out and the primer detonating.

Edit - or a mag pouch/sleeve works.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    A loaded magazine can be in the case with the firearm, just not inserted. TSA's definition of loaded is different than Pennsylvania's. TSA is more concerned that the primers are protected i.e. no loose rounds.

In San Antonio I argued this point with a TSA agent and I stood my ground as I was sure I was correct. I couldn't have unloaded my mags because my ammo box in the case was full and I didn't want to lose my carry ammo or toss live rounds in the trash. Eventually a supervisor came and I won . Loaded mags are much easier to handle once at your destination and ready to load up.
    Good info. The airlines I have flown on have wanted the ammo in a factory (or similar hard plastic) container.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast