Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Routine for flying with a sidearm..

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Good info. The airlines I have flown on have wanted the ammo in a factory (or similar hard plastic) container.
    Interesting. I've never encountered the ticketing agent really saying anything except fill out the card and put it inside or tape on the outside of the case. Further, I used to go to the bathroom to unload and pack the pistol away but I got tired of that routine so I've started just declaring my pistol then unloading it right there with the utmost muzzle and trigger discipline. Hasn't caused any issues but be aware of which airports you can carry (Florida I believe was one state you couldn't so I unloaded & packed at the hotel).

I know some airlines have their own individual rules for checking a firearm, though most default to the TSA. If the airline employee really knew their stuff and company policy states no loaded mags, you should have some room in your ammo box to put the rounds.

Of course you can forget all this and just bring a revolver .

(Montgomery County)

This setup is good to fly. The pick &pluck pelican cases are perfect for making gun, mag and ammo box sections. This is the 1170 size. Non-TSA master locks. I also use a little TSA lock for my suitcase so they can open and inspect the case and sniff my socks. My name, phone number and email are taped to the top of my case in case there is an issue.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Slide open is not a requirement. Empty magazine can be inserted into the firearm. Ammo can be in the same container as the firearm, but not in the magazine. Preferably in a factory ammo box, but at least in some kind of plastic ammo container..
    Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    A loaded magazine can be in the case with the firearm, just not inserted. TSA's definition of loaded is different than Pennsylvania's. TSA is more concerned that the primers are protected i.e. no loose rounds.

In San Antonio I argued this point with a TSA agent and I stood my ground as I was sure I was correct. I couldn't have unloaded my mags because my ammo box in the case was full and I didn't want to lose my carry ammo or toss live rounds in the trash. Eventually a supervisor came and I won . Loaded mags are much easier to handle once at your destination and ready to load up.
    While TSA allows loaded (but sealed/covered) magazines, American - among others - does not. This leads to making decisions about how far one is willing to go to get loaded back up at the destination. Sitting in Baggage Claim loading mags takes long enough for snowflakes to notice, while I can slip in a mag, rack and holster fairly simply and quickly.

IANAL
    YMMV
    etc...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    While TSA allows loaded (but sealed/covered) magazines, American - among others - does not. This leads to making decisions about how far one is willing to go to get loaded back up at the destination. Sitting in Baggage Claim loading mags takes long enough for snowflakes to notice, while I can slip in a mag, rack and holster fairly simply and quickly.

IANAL
    YMMV
    etc...
    Another trick I learned is to head to a bathroom stall, and cough or flush with your foot while racking so no one hears and decides to call the po-po.

My post #11 does clarify my original statement of loaded mags being ok. It's ok with the TSA - but must be ok with your airline too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12