Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle question

(Philadelphia County)

Default Rifle question

So I believe I know the answer already, but never hurts to ask. I have a sig 716, it is a gas piston operated rifle with an adjustable gas block. One of the settings cuts off gas at the gas block disabling the piston from cycling the BCG. I would need to pull the charging handle after each shot kind of like a bolt gun rendering it no longer a semi automatic.

My question is can I whitetail hunt with this rifle on this setting. Now I believe the answer would be no due to the ability to cycle through the settings on the fly. I then started pondering about if I removed the piston would that suffice. Probably still a no though; I would hate to assume, but would be delighted to hear if it was an option.

I have a savage bolt gun that I hunt with; I only ask because I recently had to replace the scope, and I purchased a viper pst. I didn't care for the red dot on the sig, and had the wonderful idea to buy a precision QR mount instead of two scopes. My idea was to enjoy the scope on the sig throughout the year then bounce the viper to the savage for rifle season. The sig is .308 and the savage is 30.06; with the help of a ballistics calculator I deemed I could zero it on the sig and come hunting season dial in the 30.06. The POI from my rough numbers was lower for the .308 so I would dial up to meet the 30.06 POI. Guess I'll find out how well this works this year lol.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Rifle question

Hunt with rifle on a certain setting...........NO

Hunt without the gas piston?...........probably OK but expect a big hassle. Looking at pics it should be obvious the piston is gone but expect a judge to decide this one. And with the handguard being open without the piston it looks like you will get a face full of high pressure gas. I wouldn't want to try it.

Get two scopes.

(Chester County)

If you need a ballistic calculator, there are many, and a few of them actually free.

Here's the one I use: https://www.jbmballistics.com/ballis...culators.shtml

If you're not sure you have reliable bullet velocities on your cartridge box (mostly because you reload to the accuracy you prefer), there may be a ton of shot-out chrony's that may be available some with only minor repairs required.
    Last edited by bamboomaster; March 7th, 2020 at 05:25 PM.
    - bamboomaster

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Hunt with rifle on a certain setting...........NO

Hunt without the gas piston?...........probably OK but expect a big hassle. Looking at pics it should be obvious the piston is gone but expect a judge to decide this one. And with the handguard being open without the piston it looks like you will get a face full of high pressure gas. I wouldn't want to try it.

Get two scopes.
    I figure it was a no, thanks for the feed back though.

I have spent many years and more time than you would believe dealing with the game comm concerning what makes a semi …. 'manually operated" for hunting.
    Long story short ….. it APPEARS that if the firearm can be "easily"converted to fire as a semi while "in the field" ……. that is NOT good enough.
    Now , we get into what "easily in the field" means.
    That is one hot mess right there.
    Here is what will happen ….. the warden stopping you ……. will decide if he is happy with it or not.
    that's who it's going to be up to at the time and ….
    if he is happy …. you go about your business ….. if he not happy ….. then you can tell it to the judge
    That's how it is.
    If they ever tell you something is ok …. ask for it in writing ….and lots of luck with that.
    Even if they do give it to you , don't count on it holding up in court …. However I do believe it will show good faith on your part to be a law abiding citizen to the judge man but that is strictly my opinion and subject to mean nothing.
    I can say , I've never been told turning a part "off" or removing a part was good enough.
    They do APPEAR to be happy with welded GAS PORTS
    If you want some fun , when they tell you it isn't good enough because it's to easy to make illegal while in the field.....
    Ask them , when they are going to start pinching those guys with shotguns plugged for 2 shells during small game but yet the plug can be easily removed while in the field.....
    if you ever get an answer to that … let me know , be advised … they don't find any humor in being questioned like that.
    Just so you know
    Last edited by Boondox; March 7th, 2020 at 09:31 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Personally, i would not want to test the waters with the opinion of PGC warden , which will vary greatly. I just hope that before I get too old PA game commission gets its head out of its ass and approves auto loaders for big game. Id like to tote my M1 Garand out just once (maybe more) then more than likely go back to the Fudd guns. not sure Id hunt with my AR10 although it is very accurate
    Last edited by SgtRecon; March 8th, 2020 at 09:25 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    Long story short ….. it APPEARS that if the firearm can be "easily"converted to fire as a semi while "in the field" ……. that is NOT good enough.
    Now , we get into what "easily in the field" means.
    That is one hot mess right there.
    Here is what will happen ….. the warden stopping you ……. will decide if he is happy with it or not.
    that's who it's going to be up to at the time and ….
    if he is happy …. you go about your business ….. if he not happy ….. then you can tell it to the judge
    I'd rather steer clear of a judge, especially one in Tioga. Not exactly around the corner.

I can say , I've never been told turning a part "off" or removing a part was good enough.
    They do APPEAR to be happy with welded GAS PORTS
    Makes sense.

Ask them , when they are going to start pinching those guys with shotguns plugged for 2 shells during small game but yet the plug can be easily removed while in the field.....
    if you ever get an answer to that … let me know , be advised … they don't find any humor in being questioned like that.
    Just so you know
    �� That's a good one.

Thanks for sharing your findings with the game commission on this topic. ��

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    Id like to tote my M1 Garand out just once (maybe more) the more than likely go back to the Fudd guns. not sure Id hunt with my AR10 although it is very accurate
    I think I'd be the same way; I personally am not huge on legalizing auto loaders. Where I hunt I feel safe, but there is always the 1% that ruin it.

Quote Originally Posted by bml215 View Post
    I'd rather steer clear of a judge, especially one in Tioga. Not exactly around the corner.
    The alternative to telling it to the judge , would be to plead guilty..;. and that may not be appealing either
    If you would be unwilling to do either of those ...... then do not try to use anything for hunting that would be questionable.
    Cause if "caught" , you may have to pick one of those options.
    If you have many conversations with the greenie weenies about this , you'll probably note the #1 question they have is "why?"
    "Because you are trying to not run afoul of the law" doesn't seem to satisfy them as if you must be up to no good
    I hunt both private and public land , including SGL's , the number of hunters who never batted an eye at me while I have come across them while carrying what could appear to be an illegal hunting arm really surprised me.
    Which is nice... as answering the question ..."what in the hell?" isn't something I don't want bothered with.
    The safest way to do what you want , may be to buy a 2nd barrel and weld the gas port on one of them
    But that is no guarantee you won't get pinched.
    Just maybe the best way to "get away" with it
    My interest in hunting with semi's converted to manual is/was because I enjoy using different types of arms.
    I'd rather take a doe with a near correct WW2 Garand than I would a 10 buck with a Rem 700 30-06.
    But that's me and I don't understand why they ask "why" instead of giving me an answer to the question.

(Philadelphia County)

If you would be unwilling to do either of those ...... then do not try to use anything for hunting that would be questionable.
    I think i'll not be lazy and bounce the scope over to the old fud gun, or pick up another in the future lol.

My interest in hunting with semi's converted to manual is/was because I enjoy using different types of arms.
    I'd rather take a doe with a near correct WW2 Garand than I would a 10 buck with a Rem 700 30-06.
    But that's me and I don't understand why they ask "why" instead of giving me an answer to the question.
    I can see that, sounds pretty cool. Probably liability issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast