Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Interesting observation tied to Covid-19

I was in my local LGS picking something up. Was chatting with the clerk who told me that after several Asian people have been assaulted publicly in recent days, there has been an influx of Asian customers wishing to purchase firearms. The problem is that those whose English skills are somewhat shaky have been stymied by the fact that the form 4473 is available in English and Spanish but not any other language. I would think that this is a discriminatory practice. Anyone out there have a suggestion or solution to the problem?
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Interesting observation tied to Covid-19

Learn English.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I was in my local LGS picking something up. Was chatting with the clerk who told me that after several Asian people have been assaulted publicly in recent days, there has been an influx of Asian customers wishing to purchase firearms. The problem is that those whose English skills are somewhat shaky have been stymied by the fact that the form 4473 is available in English and Spanish but not any other language. I would think that this is a discriminatory practice. Anyone out there have a suggestion or solution to the problem?
    The first LGS that can figure out a way to help them translate the form will get a lot of business.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Allegheny County)

We have a new associate at work who has finally wrapped up her computer training prior to beginning work in her department.
    She's Chinese and had been using the online interpreter to follow along with the training. (you listen with headphones (English or whatever language you need) as you follow what's on the monitor)
    She told me it was difficult because the languages are so different that many things have no direct translation into Mandarin, so it slowed her down.
    She'll do OK though - she's already shown herself to be a much better worker than a lot of the people there.

Interesting - I never once thought "CORONAVIRUS!!!" when seeing her, and talking to her.
    My inner racist must be broken. Gotta see someone about that.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    We have a new associate at work who has finally wrapped up her computer training prior to beginning work in her department.
    She's Chinese and had been using the online interpreter to follow along with the training. (you listen with headphones (English or whatever language you need) as you follow what's on the monitor)
    She told me it was difficult because the languages are so different that many things have no direct translation into Mandarin, so it slowed her down.
    She'll do OK though - she's already shown herself to be a much better worker than a lot of the people there.

Interesting - I never once thought "CORONAVIRUS!!!" when seeing her, and talking to her.
    My inner racist must be broken. Gotta see someone about that.
    When reading that, I thought "CORORAVIRUS".

Ra ra ra ra ra...ra ra ra ra.

It would take time and patience...... and maybe a premium, but possibly typing the English version into google translate would allow them to understand each question.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tran...&client=safari

(Montgomery County)

There are cell phone apps you can talk to that speak back the translation, I have used them to have conversations in Chinese etc.

When my girlfriend yells at me in Korean while waving a kitchen knife, I don't really need a translation to know she is threatening to kill me...
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    The first LGS that can figure out a way to help them translate the form will get a lot of business.
    I would not recommend this. The first customer who gets the form wrong and is criminally prosecuted, will point the finger at the translated questions, and the shop that offered the translation.

Smart gun shop employees do NOT offer assistance in answering the questions. These are mostly legal questions, some are factual with legal boundaries. You don't want to be a co-defendant in a civil suit for legal malpractice, or get caught in the middle of a criminal prosecution when your customer insists that "the clerk told me to say 'no', so I did."
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

PickingPA Guest

Learn English.
    Winner

(Lackawanna County)

Learn English.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.
    America must suffer until it reaches the point that Liberty is more important than Comforts.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast