Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Will a standard government 1911A1 slide work on a model 70 frame?

I have a spare slide/bushing/barrel assembly that fits a 1911A1 frame. If I come up with a second frame, I can have two working pistols. I see stainless model 70 frames are very reasonable. Read thru some sites looking for info but didn't locate the answer I need. It looks like it should work, since the differences centered around barrel stability (finger bushing in the early 70s followed by return to full bushing later...none of which seem to demand a frame change).

Help? Thanks.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Will a standard government 1911A1 slide work on a model 70 frame?

Should work with minor fitting.

(Bucks County)

Thanks. Meanwhile, I think I mistook a bid price for a set price. :-(
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Bang
    You might want to sign up here https://forums.1911forum.com/

(Carbon County)

I have not messed with .45's for about 40 years, but I believe they also changed the feed ramp angle on the series 80. A series 70 should work, but like the previous poster said "With minor fitting". Not because of changes, but because of dozens of different manufacturers. Same problem you get with all the black gun parts.

(Berks County)

70 has no firing pin block. Series 80 has one. So your block won’t get deactivated. Firing pins probably won’t exchange but I am not sure. I am sure I read somewhere what you want to do won’t work, but I think people removed the system on 80s to improve trigger pull. The fingers were on gold cup bushings and were for target loads like the recoil springs used on them.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Delaware County)

Fairly easy to remove the FPB from the slide. Or the mechanism on the frame. Most* of the time, as has been said, minor fitment. However, 1911’s are not like other contemporary firearms. The don’t have “drop in” parts.

But hey, I taught myself to build them, and built my last on after being disabled and my arm/hand paralyzed. Did a blog thread on 1911forum back in 2014 about it. If you have a little technical aptitude, shouldn’t be much a problem.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Carbon County)

Yes, 1911A-1 handguns do have drop in parts. I repaired and checked literally thousands of them in the military. The problem is modern engineers and machinists can't seem to follow a print anymore. I had recently acquired a couple new Marlin 336 receivers and barrels. I went to screw a 100 year old 32-40 Marlin barrel on a new receiver and could not get it started. I checked the threads on the new barrel that came off the receiver and sure enough, they were wrong. Luckily, there was enough there to match them up. I see this all the time and it just seems to be getting worse.