Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Visiting nurse demands any guns be "put away" before she arrives

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    The hell it is. I’ve been crawling In peoples cars, wrecked or not for a decade and a half. I’ve been walking into peoples homes for longer then that. Guns are a normal part of life, and generally less concerning to me then knives. One call I remember well was going into the home of a hospice patient after the hospice nurse on scene has called us. I couldn’t sit down, or set my bag down, because there were guns everywhere. Let me
    Be clear. It wasn’t a matter of me needing to move a rifle and shotgun out of the way, it was a lot of hardware. When I commented he said this isn’t anything, he has a gun room which is actually pretty packed. Obviously the hospice nurse wasn’t bothered by the guns, and those guns were as put away as they ever got.

Also. My wife works as a home health nurse. Goes into people’s homes every day. She has commented on a few people’s collections.
    What county/counties do you work in?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by KatesDad View Post
    Im probably going to get flamed for this but what the heck.
    So you wanted to hire someone in the medical field to come in and take care of your family member that was sick. You do not have the expertise to do it yourself but they do. They ask you to put away your firearms before they come. This is one of their rules for them to come to your house and do their job. You do not want to do that, fine, hire someone else that does not have that rule if you don’t like that.
    A contract works both ways. You contract for a service. That contract outlines what services are provided and how those services are provided. If you do not like what is in the contract you have the right to not have those services provided. Same goes for the person providing those services.
    Look at it this way. You hire a cleaning person to clean your house. That cleaning person does not like dogs but you have three of them. The cleaning person says they will not come clean unless the dogs are put away. You have a choice. Either put the dogs away or hire someone else. Its that simple. No reason to get angry or upset about it.
    Im probably reading more into your reaction but that’s the thing about reading something versus hearing someone saying it. Its hard to read emotion.
    I can agree with this and put it up front, not in a 'BTW, you have to do this because we're on our way'.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I can agree with this and put it up front, not in a 'BTW, you have to do this because we're on our way'.
    Clear communication is key. Upfront and not an afterthought I agree with.

IMO location probably plays a part in personal preference. I can see it being less of an issue in Potter County than in downtown Philadelphia.

Quote Originally Posted by pens87pgh View Post
    I get where you're coming from - but they're also doing you a huge service with the convenience of giving your wife (or any family member) care in your own house and not making you venture out for it. I think cleaning up isn't a whole lot to ask for with that in mind?
    It's not a "huge service" - that term implies some form of charity. This is a business transaction that the individual is well compensated for.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    It's not a "huge service" - that term implies some form of charity. This is a business transaction that the individual is well compensated for.
    Yeah, its only about $7,000- $9,000 per month depending on the type of coverage/support. No charity was given to us, but we did remove everything that had any ascertainable value...

Except the opera records - nobody wants 550+ opera records...

Oh, and how would visiting nurses with that requirement have done on a battlefield???
    Last edited by bamboomaster; March 4th, 2020 at 05:13 PM.
    - bamboomaster

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    Yeah, its only about $7,000- $9,000 per month depending on the type of coverage/support. No charity was given to us, but we did remove everything that had any ascertainable value...
    Out of sight, out of mind and I'd leave $5 bill laying around as bait to see it if got taken. Sticking out of a pile of magazines or something.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Susquehanna County)

Funny thing. But I just recalled a conversation i had with a retired NYPD Detective (Bud H. RIP) years ago. We somehow got on the subject of burglary and home security and from that New York City's "Visiting Nurse Corps" a service provided by the city with RNs who were in fact city employees. Bud described a slew of burglaries of apartments of senior citizens who had valuable items targeted and stolen. The common thread was the visiting nurses, But not the nurses themselves it was their boyfriends, from the girls talking about the neat clock so and has or the Mrs Calabash's beautiful silverware, etc.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

Visiting nurses on a battlefield? LOL
    Don't let the Navy corpsman hear that!
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    What county/counties do you work in?
    Now? 1st due for Juniata at one job, Clinton& Lycoming for another. Wife covers Clinton, Lycoming, Centre & some Union.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by KatesDad View Post
    Im probably going to get flamed for this but what the heck.
    So you wanted to hire someone in the medical field to come in and take care of your family member that was sick. You do not have the expertise to do it yourself but they do. They ask you to put away your firearms before they come. This is one of their rules for them to come to your house and do their job. You do not want to do that, fine, hire someone else that does not have that rule if you don’t like that.
    A contract works both ways. You contract for a service. That contract outlines what services are provided and how those services are provided. If you do not like what is in the contract you have the right to not have those services provided. Same goes for the person providing those services.
    Look at it this way. You hire a cleaning person to clean your house. That cleaning person does not like dogs but you have three of them. The cleaning person says they will not come clean unless the dogs are put away. You have a choice. Either put the dogs away or hire someone else. Its that simple. No reason to get angry or upset about it.
    Im probably reading more into your reaction but that’s the thing about reading something versus hearing someone saying it. Its hard to read emotion.
    I would argue that healthcare is different: and that the home nurse exists to save the hospital/ insurance company (usually UPMC or geisinger insurance) money, because it is cheaper to send a nurse then keep someone in the hospital, or have them come back to the hospital, especially since Readmissions are frequently not covered by insurance, and depending on the condition actually kick in reimbursement penalties as it shows a lack of proper initial care and patient education.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast